Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Early Video game music roots

1. Early Video game music roots

I was listening to an emerson, lake, and palmer song, and it sounded remarkably like contra 3 music. Which got me thinking, outside of the obvious classical references, has anyone seen any blatant lifting of style from popular/modern music into video games? Specifically the pre-CD era, since the midi's can hide the background fairly well.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

Music is music imo... doesn't matter what its being played on.

But yeah, most 8bit video game music sounds like prog-rock to me.

3. ELP is awesome.
    Backloggery
    GameTZ

Go home and be a family man.

4. There was that Sonic the Hedgehog 2/3 Michael Jackson youtube thing a few weeks ago...

5. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    There was that Sonic the Hedgehog 2/3 Michael Jackson youtube thing a few weeks ago...
    That was like over a year ago.

6. What were the first video games with full soundtracks? There's one for Neo.

Influences:

Ryuichi Sakamoto, Yellow Magic Orchestra? RS's Thousand Knives of... sounds like mid-80s/early 90s video game music (was released in '78). Throw "Plastic Bamboo" into a Goemon game or Breath of Fire III and it wouldn't sound too out of place, or "Riot in Lagos" (from B-2 Unit) in a Streets of Rage (2? 3?). Zuckerzeit from Cluster also had a video game vibe to it. "Caramel" made me think of Q*Bert, but that could be off. Haven't played it in years.

And an obvious rip, Indiana Jones theme --> A Boy & His Blob's theme.

Later stuff with midi/cart sounds: Philip Glass' Koyaaniqatsi kind of reminded me of the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack (tracks like Buried in the Snow). Minimalism works well with video games. Zelda 64's dungeon themes seemed to want to be early Popol Vuh/Tangerine Dream. I think they all just liked 70s music.

I want to know what music Hip Tanaka was listening to.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Punky Skunk View Post
    Zelda 64's dungeon themes seemed to want to be early Popol Vuh/Tangerine Dream. I think they all just liked 70s music.
    I never played Zelda 64.

Backloggery
    GameTZ

Go home and be a family man.

Quote Originally Posted by Punky Skunk View Post
    midi/cart sounds
    noob

9. Quote Originally Posted by PBMax View Post
    I never played Zelda 64.

GANNON-BANNED

10. Quote Originally Posted by Punky Skunk View Post
    They all like 80's music
    I do hear alot of inspiration from the early synth users, including the bowie electric albums. When I was originally playing the games, I thought them usic was original, but as I delve farther into classic rock, I see almost all of the motifs and songs in some form done earlier.

Currently alot of games have taken a much more big band approach. Many feel almost operatic to me.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life