Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS2 Half-Life

zidane747 Guest

PS2 Half-Life

I just picked this game up yesterday for 29.99$, and even though I only played the very beginning, I can tell I'm going to love this game. Just wondering around the Black Mesa HQ, watching the scientists talk and work is magical. I just can't wait till I get some guns and take on the aliens. Any impressions?

Oh,and is it me, or does this game have a strong Aliens feel?

2. If you get last months issue of OPM there is an upgrade of sorts for Half Life on the demo disc (it's the issue with Jango Fett on it)

3. Well, I played the original Half Life on my PC back in the day, and it was an awesome game. One of the best fps experiences I ever had, and I played many of them. I dont play alot of multiplayer, so the good single play in the fps is more important to me, and HL delivered it in spades Too bad I never got to play Opposing Force(probably named it wrong), it sounded and looked like lots of fun.

As for PS2 version, I heard many not soo good comments about it, but never tried it personally. Same goes for Soldier of Fortune, which I missed on PC, and I heard that both DC and PS2 ports were incredibly bad

Why cant they just release ports of PC fps games on Xbox, at least they will run better on that hardware.

4. Half-Life for the PS2 is an amazing game. And Despair, despite what you may have heard, it's an amazing port of the PC version. The models have more polys, better textures, and the game runs at a constant 60 FPS and controls great. I actually just beat it last night. It's a very cool game, zidane. You're gonna have fun. All the scripted events really make you feel like you're in a living, breathing world. And the game is LONG. You will get your money's worth for sure. Just a hint of advice- when you get to the final boss (you'll know it when you are) quicksave the second he starts to die- there are two endings, and which one you gets depends on the choice you make during the ending itself. So kill the boss, choose one ending, then re-load and choose the other one. Very cool.

And Korly, where the heck on the OPM demo disc is the Half-Life upgrade? I can't find it...

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. Hmm, Good to hear that the game is actually running very well Maybe its all the ager because they moved the DC version of HL to PS2, made people speak of it in the bad manner

I want to try Deus Ex and NOLF on PS2 though, since I never played it on PC, so hopefully those are good ports as well.

6. Originally posted by Dolemite
    Half-Life for the PS2 is an amazing game. And Despair, despite what you may have heard, it's an amazing port of the PC version. The models have more polys, better textures, and the game runs at a constant 60 FPS and controls great.
    I played the demo, and it most certainly did not run at a constant 60 fps. With two or more models on screen it dropped in smoothness quite significantly. Is the retail version different?

The models do have better textures and are more rounded, but the environment lighting and texture work seems to have changed very little. Disappointing for such an old game on powerful hardware.

I don't know what demo disc I played. It also has Parappa 2, some Star Wars flight game, Frequency, Crash Bandicoot, and a movie of Socom.

7. It's a fun game..... until you get to Xen.

8. It was an amazing game when it first came out, but it most likely won't have the same impact on you that it did to everyone who played it when it first came out. It should still be very fun though.

Oh and I agree with Sidez, once you get to Xen the game starts to suck. The platforming wa ssometimes annoying during the main portions of the game, but it's even worse on Xen. The giant testicle spider boss was pretty neat though.

9. I wanted Half Life soooo bad for Dreamcast. It was coming out next week then it got delayed for a month. Waited till that month, week before release it got delayed. That went on for some time. Finally the game was done and Gamepro reviewed it and there was a strategy guide. Woohoo! One week before release the game gets canned! NOOOOOOOO!! I think that was my biggest gaming dissapointment ever! I wanted it so damn bad. I never had it on PC, and I love first person shooters. Well it finally came out for PS2 and I had a good time. I do think that using both the dual sticks on the PS2 pad is shit though for a FPS game. I'd much rather move with the buttons and look with the right stick like the DC pad for FPS games on the PS2. The lock on feature does help a lot for the PS2 game. Just map that function to one of the sticks R3 or L3 button feature though. Its much easier. I enjoyed the game a lot till I got to the gay ass alien planet then the game just sucks. I gave up when I got there and just cheated with some codes. The Decay Co-op mode is pretty much crap. It would've been way better to play the normal game co-op.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

10. Originally posted by FuSoYa
    I played the demo, and it most certainly did not run at a constant 60 fps. With two or more models on screen it dropped in smoothness quite significantly. Is the retail version different?
    I've heard this about the demo before...but yes, the retail version does run at 60 FPS. I didn't really encounter any slowdown at all during play.

Originally posted by Sidez
    It's a fun game..... until you get to Xen.
    Yeah, I gotta agree...the Zen levels pale compared to the Black Mesa levels. They're not terrible, but not nearly as good as when you're on Earth. The endings are dissapointing, too.

Originally posted by SamuraiMoogle
    I do think that using both the dual sticks on the PS2 pad is shit though for a FPS game. I'd much rather move with the buttons and look with the right stick like the DC pad for FPS games on the PS2.
    Personally, I love using both the dual sticks on the PS2 pad for FPS games. I just think the whole set-up works so well. Red Faction controled almost the exsact same way and I thought it was great.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww