Page 17 of 222 FirstFirst ... 31315161718192131 ... LastLast

Thread: Super SF2 Turbo: HD Remix

1. lol Sirlin. I thought he died.

If this has no lag online, I'll buy it. I haven't played ST in fucking years but I'll train to become TNL's champion.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Taito View Post
    Okay, I'm confused now. I thought CPS2 games already ran in a widescreen resolution-- 384x224. Why wouldn't there be widescreen stages in the remake?
    Technically yes, but it's stretched vertically to achieve 4:3 and so everything was created with that in mind. If they displayed it at its base resolution you'd end up with a bunch of short, fat characters.

3. Do they say when this is suppose to come out?

4. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Technically yes, but it's stretched vertically to achieve 4:3 and so everything was created with that in mind. If they displayed it at its base resolution you'd end up with a bunch of short, fat characters.

Interesting. Knowing that, I can better understand Sirlin's post about the widescreen issues.

polarity: Different answers for Puzzle Fighter and Street Fighter on that one. We have greatly tinkered with the Puzzle Fighter screen layout. The net effect is that it ends up being widescreen, but with nothing stretched-looking, and nothing even really different looking. It’s just magically widescreen and will seem like it was designed that way.

For Street Fighter, there can be no such magic. Stretching the characters to widescreen would be a high crime to me, and changing the game to be widescreen is beyond the scope of the project and would lead to too much complaining about it being a different game anyway. So bottom line, the game will not be stretched at all and it will have some kind of decorative stuff on the sides. Perhaps we will give you an option to stretch the game to widescreen if you want to (but know that I will shed a tear if you do).

Back to Puzzle Fighter. Dealing with the aspect ratios of all the elements throughout the game has been nearly a full-time job in itself, at times. By the way, I have an amazing super power to detect when aspect ratios are wrong. I have quite a long track record of claiming that something is stretched slightly when others don’t think so, and having it turn out that I’m right. It happened just last week when something was 288 pixels wide and it looked wrong to me (but right to others). It turns out it was wrong, and it should have been 298.

Anyway, the aspect ratio issues surrounding Puzzle Fighter are dizzying, but they will all be solved (most are already). The game’s original pixels are wider than a 4:3 ratio (so random screenshots you see of it or other CPS1/2 games are all stretched too wide). But these pixels were somehow projected onto a 4:3 screen so they end up looking correct. This means when we extract assets, we’re dealing with stretched wide assets. But we would like to create normal looking assets rather than work in the “stretched assets space” if you get what I mean. To make matters worse, we took the original game’s pixels (wider than 4:3 but intended to be mashed into 4:3) and stretched them *even more* so that it became 16:9. Then, we replaced these really stretched elements with our new not-stretched art.

You probably didn’t follow that, and it gets even worse still. Remember how I said the original game’s assets are stored in a “stretched” form? Well, after studying the game for quite a while, I’m pretty convinced that there were some mistakes about aspect ratios there too. It’s kind of too much to go into (too late), but the point is that we can’t even uniformly tweak everything because a few things were wrong before we even started.

There’s an associate producer at Backbone who goes by the name MK, and I want you to know that he has gone to amazing lengths to help straighten all this crazy stuff out so that you, the player, won’t realize any of it was ever an issue at all. It will all just look natural.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

5. the aspect ratio in puzzle fighter is clearly all messed up... just look at morrigan's thighs.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    lol Sirlin. I thought he died.

If this has no lag online, I'll buy it. I haven't played ST in fucking years but I'll train to become TNL's champion.
    Masaka.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

7. So what am I going to get on my 4:3 aspect VGA monitor? SF with black bars on the top and bottom and 'decorations' on the sides? They better sort this shit out.

You're going to get a new monitor.

lol 4:3

9. Never!
    (if I do get a new monitor, it'll be 5:4 anyway)

Why?