Page 1 of 19 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Etrian Odyssey

1. Etrian Odyssey

Official English Web site is up, the game ships May 16.

http://www.atlus.com/etrian/

According to Gamespot, the game is directed by "Kazuya Niinou (Trauma Center: Under the Knife), story design by Shigeo Komori (Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner), and sound design by Yuzo Koshiro (Actraiser, Streets of Rage)."

A first-person dungeon crawler with lots of unique elements -- drawing the map on the touch screen, roaming visible monsters combined with random battles, awesome forest setting -- this game looks like it's going to kick ass.

From GAF:

F.O.E. SYSTEM
    "There are the usual random encounters but, you can also see monsters on the top screen wandering about. You’ll be able to see many of them by walking around the map. There is an ecosystem among the monsters and every turn you take in battle, they will move a step."

"You could find yourself fighting one monster after the other if you happen to be surrounded while in battle. The more turns you take in battle, the more enemies you find you’ll be surrounded with."

"If the worse comes to worst, you may find a very powerful monster right behind you (Laughs) You’ll be making every step carefully to shake off these monsters but, there will also be random battles to stop you. So if there’s a strong enemy chasing you then, the battles could end in one turn (Laughs) Being able to display such enemies on one screen while having a map on the other is something that only the Nintendo DS can do."

"They won’t be patrolling in circles as they will have their own AI such as moving according to what they see, what they hear or if the player is directly in front of them. There are all sort of triggers for these “f.o.e.” We’ve added all sorts of little gimmicks such as one where a wolf will attack you if you have some meat. There will be good players who will keep holding the meat and continue through the dungeon but there will also be those that will decide to throw away the meet to avoid the wolf. Players will be clearing this game in stages and once they do, they will remember how to clear the same stage next time they come across it."
    Backloggery
    GameTZ

Go home and be a family man.

I love mystical forest settings and Koshiro tunes so I'm interested.

Yeah, I'm pretty burned out on RPGs, but I'm really looking forward to this one.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

4. sounds like it could end up being very annoying worrying about random encounters while already fighting monsters. the game looks pretty cool, though.

5. Random battles and wandering monsters that wander into you while you're fighting battles sounds like a horrible horrible idea.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Random battles and wandering monsters that wander into you while you're fighting battles sounds like a horrible horrible idea.
    Kind of sounds like a Fushigi no Dungeon game wrapped in a Sting RPG's presentation and silly mechanics. I'm not so sure this is a good thing.

7. Looks good!
    This comic actually sold me too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comic0.gif 
Views:	371 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	23725
    "Thin story" to encourage imagination, now thats a novel idea.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Love View Post
    "Thin story" to encourage imagination, now thats a novel idea.
    Sounds more like lazy writing.

9. That comic is awesome. And this game will be awesome.

Sounds more like lazy writing.

this ain't a game about story, punk! It's about beat your face in frustration, loli time, and explorin' for the sake of it! If you 'ent up for that, you can go play your whatever you play.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	medigirl.jpg 
Views:	1023 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	23726  
    Donk

10. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Random battles and wandering monsters that wander into you while you're fighting battles sounds like a horrible horrible idea.
    Exactly what I was thinking. This game is going to suck serious ass. I mean really suck. Like suck so much that...

::gets distracted by the cute comic::

::comes back::

Okay, nevermind, I'm into it.