Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Revoltor's pocket guide to exploitation films

1. Exploitation/mondo films are all I seem to watch these days (so I was sort of surprised I didn't like Grindhouse more than I did), but I'm more into the Faces of Death variety. I liked Cannibal Holocaust pretty well but repeated viewings made me realize how heavy-handed the moral of the story was.

No one's mentioned the Guinea Pig series yet. The second one is the only one I've seen and seems to be the most popular, partly because Charlie Sheen reported it to the FBI because he thought it was a real snuff film and also because it was a big inspiration to that kid who kidnapped and mutilated little girls in Japan some years ago.

2. Guinea Pig was blech. Fight for Your Life sounds interesting I might have to check it out. If I could reccomend some more films:

Caligula
    Hanzo the Razor
    Man Bites Dog
    Street Trash
    Salo
    Evil Dead Trap
    Emmanuel Series (specifically Emmanuel in America)
    The Toxic Avenger
    Maniac Cop
    Blood Feast

Some of these might not be exploitation per say, but they are all over the top movies.

3. Salo sounds fucking awful.

4. I'd just like to point out that Blue Underground distributes alot of these movies and has trailers available on their site.

5. Has anyone seen any of the Blind Dead movies? I'm interested in seeing the first one and was wondering if it was worth getting the collection.

6. I've heard mixed reactions on the whole series. From what I've read they're all big on atmosphere rather than shock and gore. I'm guessing it somewhere along the lines of John Carpenter's THE FOG.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."

7. Seen one of the Blind dead flicks, cant remember the which one, might be Tombs, it was ok i guess.

SALO is fucked up flick though.

8. Semi-related, I tried to watch Suspiria last night, but my disc is fucked some how. Upset, I decided to have a listen to the soundtrack, only to find its fucked too . Time to buy the special edition again...

I really like Argento's movies for the same reason as I like these exploitation flicks, they don't really have any substance to them but they're very visually pleasing.

9. Suspira was ok, the soundtrack was ace though. I found it a bit boring to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by arjue View Post
    Salo sounds fucking awful.
    It is pretty horrible. I have only watched it once and I own the damn thing.

10. I watched SALO in a packed audience at the IFC theater a couple of months ago. It was a double feature with I STAND ALONE (This movie deserves it's own thread).

SALO reminded me a lot of ILSA: SHE-WOLF OF THE SS in terms of all the creative ways of degrading people. Yeah, everyone eats shit. lots of it.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."