Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic J-Computer Games Heroines

Classic J-Computer Games Heroines

Sorry, I'm in a f-channy mood today.

This thread is about games on old Japanese computers (NEC, Sharp, Fujitsu, MSX, etc.) that have females as the the main playable characters. I have only included games that are enjoyable without any Japanese knowledge, and I have left out hentai games. The only console games I included are SG-1000 games since they're playable on the SC-3000 computer.

Here are some games that fit the topic, both good and bad -

The Highly Responsive to Prayers (Zun Soft, PC-98, 1996)

Great Engrish name for a great action game. This is the first in the Touhou Project series that continued on to Windows PCs, for example the bullet hell shooter Perfect Cherry Blossom. HRP is sort of a mix of Breakout and shooter elements with a pinball-ish vibe. And, thanks to joy2key, this is much more playable now since you don't have to use keyboard controls.

Aleste 2 (Compile, MSX2, 1989)

Unlike the first Aleste game which had a domestic release on SMS, this was stuck in Japan, and remained exclusive to the MSX2. It's a quality shooter, as one would expect from Compile.

Gardis Light (Sprite Team, X68000, 1994)

If you like simple Kung Fu/Ninja Warriors-type action games, this is worth checking out. Two of the three selectable characters are female. I dig the Golden Axe inspired soundtrack.

Milky Way (Micronet, PC-88, 1984)

I haven't played this, and I'm just guessing the player is female, but I'm curious if it's any good.

Ninja Princess (Sega/Pony Canyon, SC-3000/MSX, 1986)

You're better off with the arcade version today (also known as Sega Ninja) but this is still a neat overhead view action game.

Cotton (Success, X68000, 1993)

Cha Cha Cha (Sprite Team, X68000, 1995)

Similar to Cotton. It's a solid game but nothing spectacular.

Girl's Garden (Sega, SC-3000, 1984)

It's best known for being Yuji Naka's first game but it's also quite well made and original. The object is to collect flowers so your boyfriend doesn't fall for another chick. Why she wants to stay with a guy that so easily strays and likes flowers is another story.

Minky-Momo Panicball (Michoice/Ashipro Technopolis, PC-88, 1984)

This is another PC-88 I could never find to try out. I think it might be based on a license.

Marchen Veil I (System Sacom, MSX/MSX2, 1987)

This also came out on the Famicom Disk System. It seemed shitty so I never put much time into it or the sequel.

Rusty (C-lab., PC-98)

Do you miss traditional whip-focused Castlevania games? Well, here's an impressive Castlevania clone you might not have played. While it isn't quite as professional looking as Konami's efforts, I find it more enjoyable than Bloodlines. The company that made this still exists, too. It would cool if they had it re-released in some form.
    Sorry for the crappy pic. Resizing PC-98 emu shots always seems to screw them up for me.

The Return of Ishtar (Namco/SPS, PC-88, MSX2, FM 7, X68000)

Ports of the Namco arcade game.

Fray: In Magical Adventure (Microcabin, MSX Turbo-R/PC-98, 1990)

A side-story to the Xak series. I'm mostly familiar with the Duo version which is a competent ARPG with nice detail.

Silk Road: Legend of Gero (Sprite Team, X68000)

Sofia (Dempa, MSX, 1987)

This one's gameplay is a little simplistic but I think it's still a pretty charming non-linear platformer.

Marchen Maze (SPS/Namco, X68000)

Unlike the PC Engine version which altered the perspective, this is virtually identical to the Namco arcade game.

Rona (Dixie, MSX Turbo-R, 1994)

Dull shooter. Good music.

Lady Fighter (Sprite Team, X68000, 1993)

Nice graphics but the gameplay's archaic for a post-SF2 fighter.

Valis: Fantasm Soldier (Telenet, X1/MSX/PC-88/PC-98/FM 7, 1986/1987)

I think this series started out pretty weak, a case of style over substance. Things improved over time, though (at least in the 16-bit era before it went hentai). I'm a big fan of the Duo versions of Valis III and IV especially.

Etoile Princesse (Exact, X68000, 1993)

Opinions, additions, etc.?
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 21 Apr 2007 at 05:53 PM.

2. *Slowly backs out of thread*

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Do you miss traditional whip-focused Castlevania games? Well, here's an impressive Castlevania clone you might not have played. While it isn't quite as professional looking as Konami's efforts, I find it more enjoyable than Bloodlines.
    Oh no you ditent!

I'm definitely checking this out.

4. This thread did not deliver.
    Boo, Hiss.

STFU. There is more information in this thread than you have contributed in the five years since you registered. In fact, this might be the most I have learned from a Neo thread. Usually I find them entertaining, but I am familiar with the games. A lot of these I have never heard of at all.

6. Believe Yoshi's news.

Hell, the only games I've played out of those are The Highly Responsive to Prayers and like five minutes of Etoile Princess. I'll definitely check out Rusty.

7. I wanted hot chicks and got none. This thread did not deliver.
    Boo, Hiss.

"Classic" could be interpreted as "old." You have a granny fetish you want to tell us about?

Last edited by Yoshi; 21 Apr 2007 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Oh no you ditent!
    I wasn't bashing Bloodlines this time. I replayed it earlier this year and liked it a lot more than before. I'm curious what Castlevania fans think of Rusty, though. There haven't been a lot of comparisons on the internet that I have found.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Oh no you ditent!

I'm definitely checking this out.
    PM me that shit if you find it plz
    Time for a change