Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Recommend Me Some Anime

1. Quote Originally Posted by Daitokuji View Post
    As for F-Chan anime there is this new one that is directed my Nabeshin same director of Excel Saga and Puri Puri Poemi called "Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge". Which is about 4 pretty boys that live in a mansion who's landlord says they have to help her neece became a beautiful woman. If they do then rent is free, but if not they have to pay triple. It's pretty funny and I enjoy it.
    Not to mention Nerima Daikon Bros., which ADV is already in the process of releasing here. It's basically Nabeshin's whacked-out answer to the Blues Brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

2. Quote Originally Posted by rezo View Post
    How much have you seen?The anime takes decent dips in quality as it goes along.
    I've seen the first 20 eps, so admittedly there's a larger number ahead than I've even seen. I can say that truthfully though those first 20 eps were incredible with no dip in quality and I'm looking forward to watching more and hopefully the series doesn't suffer too much in future episodes. As far as the US release getting squelched, there are good alternatives.

I'd second Maison Ikkoku and Kimagure Orange Road, but I don't know how well they match up to Compass's list of likes as far as type goes. Maison Ikkoku is 96 episodes and has very little filler with a good beginning, middle and end to the series. It's amazingly consistent and I felt it paid off the entire series, but if you're not into 80's anime, it's definitely not for you.

Kimagure Orange Road is 48 episodes and has several that are filler, but when it's good, it's great. The first disk of that show is better than just about anything if you're looking for funny, cute and romantic and KOR has some of my favorite anime characters ever in it as well. I'd say the same thing about the 80's, but I think this series transcends the time because the show is intentionally nostalgiac, even when it was current. And I love the soundtrack to this show bigtime.

I always recommend Escaflowne, because I think the world created in this show was fully realized and the story moves along with a great deal of action and intrigue. However, I've heard people compare it to Rahxephon or however you spell it (though I've not watched that), so if that fantasy type setting doesn't do it for you, this show might not either. I just feel like this fantasy world was completely imagined and brought fully to life in a great way.

I enjoyed Nadesico the first time through, but it's been years since I watched it. It's kind of an anime's anime (like a man's man). Big robots, space battles, over the top humor in places, the reluctant mecha pilot, and it actually pays homage to the original shows it was inspired by. But I wonder if I'd enjoy it now; every time this topic comes up and I mention Nadesico I say I really need to revisit it to see if it's actually good.

I really loved lain. I won't qualify the statement so I don't start a debate with MechDeus over it, but I really loved lain.

My anime experience is dated; even the new to me stuff I watch now is normally old, which comes from not liking to pay exorbitant prices for four episodes then wait a couple of months for the next four then get burned when the eventual boxset is released, so I've missed out on stuff like Wolf's Rain and Heat Guy J and plenty of stuff forward from that. Problems only people who can't download stuff have I guess.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    I always recommend Escaflowne, because I think the world created in this show was fully realized and the story moves along with a great deal of action and intrigue. However, I've heard people compare it to Rahxephon or however you spell it (though I've not watched that), so if that fantasy type setting doesn't do it for you, this show might not either. I just feel like this fantasy world was completely imagined and brought fully to life in a great way.
    The Escaflowne TV Series is incredible and a must see for anyone who likes anime.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

4. Prince of Tennis, imo.
    Gantz is good, if you like shit just exploding.
    If you like Eva, you'll like RahXephon. There's even some closure at the end of it.
    OMG <3 4EVA
    Scourge:Azumanga Daioh is exactly the same thing as Ninja Scroll.
    buttcheeks: High school so weird

5. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    I really loved lain. I won't qualify the statement so I don't start a debate with MechDeus over it, but I really loved lain.
    lol I don't care. Like I said, I really liked it, it was just really pointlessly dragged out early on.

6. There are 2 things you need to see.

His & Her Circumstances. This is the best anime ever made.

Voices of a Distant Star. This is the saddest thing you'll ever see (outside of Grave of the Fireflies).

VoaDS is 45 minutes long, so you have no excuse.
    Boo, Hiss.

7. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    Voices of a Distant Star. This is the saddest thing you'll ever see (outside of Grave of the Fireflies).
    Oooooooh, good call. Seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

8. Thank you all for your suggestions. I read every post, and will refer back to them in the coming months as I buy things. I was particularly interested in His and Her Circumstances when I saw the boxset at Best Buy this past weekend, so I'll likely get this first. Thanks again.

9. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    Akagi
    "with new weapons perceived some disquieting movement"

10. Dai-Guard
    Confirmed, I really liked this one.

I don't watch much anime (manga person) but I really loved memories. And all of the black jack movies are fantastic, surgeon with the hands of god is my favorite.