Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Recommend Me Some Anime

1. I've recently watched Appleseed on Encore's Animidnight.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/525/525036p1.html

I was really surprised with how good this Anime was, even though I thought the highly acclaimed Akira was just okay.

2. I recommend the Read or Die OAV. Fun three-episode arc. Don't know about the TV series, but at $200, I'm not going to find out.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

3. TV series is better. Especially the first half.

4. Berserk is really good.
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

5. Beck - really good show,also read the manga that is way better and longer

Shuffle! - romantic comedy, nice character development too

Argento Soma - scifi drama great plot

6. Here are 3 that haven't been recommended yet, but are most definitely worth watching.

Scryed - awesome series with great characters and amazing action. By the end of it shit just goes crazy.

Gungrave - if only the games were as awesome as the series

Slayers - easily one of my favorite series. I watched all 3 sets and loved every minute of it. The characters were great, the humor was great, and the action was great. My one complaint is the animation since it's a relativity older series, but everything else that is good about it makes up for it.

And like someone said before, Escaflowne is a must watch for anyone that likes anime, it's pure amazingness. Just stay away from the movie, since it is pure shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

7. The Cat Returns is good too.

8. An update. I haven't gotten around to checking out as much stuff as I would have liked, however I'm making my way through suggestions slowly but surely.

His and Her Circumstances - I bought this. Seven episodes in so far. Salsa described it perfectly up there as all the introspective nonsense of Eva with none of the robots and aliens... which, er, makes it sound awful. But it isn't! It's the simple yet complex story of high school first love. There are so many sweet and romantic moments. When the theme music kicks in, usually near the end of an episode, salty eyeball liquids are usually called forth with it! And I'm happy.

Hare + Guu: Watched the first disc. There was too much yelling. Guu spent whole episodes in creepy mode, which I didn't like. Also not really my type of humor. I gave the first disc 2/5 stars on Netflix. Opening and closing songs were dangerously catchy.

Voices of a Distant Star: 4/5 stars. Very sad and beautiful.

Princess Tutu: I bought the set after watching the first disc from Netflix. Seven episodes in so far, and I'm in heaven. Duck is staggeringly cute. Her VA has the squeakiest, most fragile voice ever. I can definitely see Sailor Moon in this. Music is wonderful. I dig the slightly dark tone too. I get chills when the gears click into place and start spinning as an episode approaches its climax.

I also finished Cowboy Bebop. I gave it 4/5 stars. I admit I'm kinda not seeing why it gets the praise it does. It was definitely cool, but nothing mind blowing. Admittedly I place a lot of emphasis on cuteness which this show wasn't really about. But neither was Eva really, and that's still my favorite. The episode where they track down a VCR to watch the VHS tape was amazing. The scene where they watch the tape was ;_; x infinity. My eyes are watering now!

9. I'll trade 5 Evangelions for Bebop. I love that show. I seriously wept when Ed left the cast.

I don't know if it's more "Western" than most anime, but it doesn't have any of the 'manga-bullshit-let's-talk-about-our-feelings- and have-47-belt-buckles" action going on. It's a lot more straightforward in both the writing and design. I appreciate that.

I really cared about the crew by the end of the series, they really grew as it went on. Meanwhile, I could give a shit about whiny-ass Shinji or the other stone-faced robots over in Eva-town.

10. Well, Compass doesn't like goofy shit, but to anyone else I would reccommend Prince of Tennis. It's good for a lot of laughs.
    OMG <3 4EVA
    Scourge:Azumanga Daioh is exactly the same thing as Ninja Scroll.
    buttcheeks: High school so weird