Page 1 of 13 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Recommend Me Some Anime

1. Please Recommend Me Some Anime

I used to watch a fair bit in the late '90s, but then sorta stopped until recently, so I have lots of catching up to do. I continued reading reviews in the interim, mostly in Play, but I've forgotten most of them (and Play loves everything anyway). I could go back and re-read them (and I might do that at some point), but I'm looking for more instant feedback based on my likes and dislikes. Any suggestions are welcome:

Loved
    • Evangelion (TV series, not the movies so much)
    • You're Under Arrest OVA
    • Ah! My Goddess OVA
    • Spirited Away
    • Azumangah Daioh!
    • Last Exile (currently watching; this is mostly responsible for revitalizing my interest in anime)
    • Midori Days (watched the first couple episodes and loved it. Need to buy this.)
    Liked
    • Project A-ko
    • Lain (need to start this over and finish)
    • Cowboy Bebop (just started this from NetFlix)
    • Akira
    • Negima (watched first couple discs I think from NetFlix)
    Didn't like

• Blue Seed
    • Gunsmith Cats (watched first tape)
    • Princess Mononoke
    • Ninja Scroll
    • Burn Up W (watched first tape)
    • RahXephon (only watched first disc)
    • X 1999 or some such (Clamp movie)
    • Tenchi Muyo movie
    • Please Save My Earth
    • Ah! My Goddess movie
    I don't know if there's necessarily discernible rhyme or reason as to why I like and don't like some of this stuff. Generally, I can't resist cuteness, strong characters, and really well done battles with giant monsters. Generally, I dislike most movies (maybe not enough character development for my tastes?), too much focus on boobs or panty shots, and non-stop action with little to no plot.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	467px-Last_Exile_-_Poster_002.joined.jpg 
Views:	1894 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	23772  

2. Lemme see...I've recently gotten back into an anime kick since some good stuff has come out. Judging from your lists your taste is much like mine, though I'm more apt to like long running shounen like One Piece/Yu Yu Hakusho. Anyway, some recommendations:

Speed Grapher (Original concept, good action and drama)
    Origin: Spirits of the past (Movie)
    Now and then, Here and there (can't recommend this enough, think Eva mood setting in dystopian future)
    Heat Guy J (Fits your description of good action and strong characters extremely well)
    Samurai 7
    Basilisk (Ninja action based on popular Japanese folklore)
    Requiem from the Darkness (Creepy but great atmosphere and plot)
    Giant Robo (classic)
    Hare+Guu (If you like cuteness/madness you will eat this up)

That's off the top of my head for now...the Hellsing OVA is good shit, but slow to release. I'll see what I can come up with once I can get a good look at what's on my shelf.
    Last edited by George; 21 Apr 2007 at 11:25 PM.

3. I'm kinda interested in what people say because I haven't watched an anime series for years either. You've seen more than I have by the looks of it, but I would suggest virtually anything by Ghibli that you haven't yet seen (especially Porco Rosso, Whisper of the Heart...well, all of them really).

I also like stuff by Mamoru Oshii, who tends to be on the more esoteric side. But I really love stuff like Angel's Egg, the Ghost in the Shell movies, Patlabor. Urusei Yatsura is a good 80s comedy series from what I've seen. Also, Windy Tales is short and sweet with a really fantastic and simple (and cute) design.

Oh and His and Her Circumstances is mostly good. Shades of Evangelion's comedy and probing of the character's minds but without the robots and such (which is, admittedly, a loss).

So:

Porco Rosso
    Whisper of the Heart
    Angel's Egg
    Urusei Yatsura
    His and Her Circumstances
    Windy Tales

4. Evangelion (TV series, not the movies so much)
    Movies plural? One was just a recap and the other was an ending to the series, so I'm not entirely sure I follow you unless you're just saying you preferred the artsy episode 26.
    • FLCL is a requisite. You've most likely seen it but if not then you need to.
    • Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi is awesome. It drags on with a few pointless episodes in the middle, but there is a reason behind that so it's forgivable.
    • Castle of Coliogstro is just fantastic.
    And that's about all I have to recommend 100% besides some of the stuff you already have on your lists. Forgive me for not elaborating but I find that generally the less you know when going into something really good then it's even better.

Wolf's Rain and the Ghost in the Shell series were decent. Samurai Champloo had really good animation but was so aimless I forgot it existed in the middle of watching it, though I've heard the ending was good. The more recent Appleseed movie was pretty good, though not rush-out-this-second-and-watch-it good. I also loved both GITS movies but they aren't nessecarily something I'd recommend to everyone. Puni Puni Poemi = <3<3<3

Beyond that nothing else pops in my head so it probably wasn't worth remembering, especially since series are usually 12+ hours long.

5. Get Elfin Lied before anything else.

It will not disappoint.

6. Forgot to recommend Fate/Stay Night. Surprisingly really good considering the source material. I saw fansubs but I think the show has started being released on DVD here.

It's a really interesting plot where people with magical powers summon the spirits of great figures in history (Hercules, Medusa, etc.) and whichever team survives gets the Holy Grail, which will grant any one wish.

7. Hunter x Hunter and Hajime No Ippo are my favorites.

8. GaoGaiGar.

9. I'm gonna say Paradise Kiss, you pansy boy.

10. Revolutionary Girl Utena is pretty much the best anime ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids