Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King of Fighters: Nests Collection

1. King of Fighters: Nests Collection

The Nests collection came out last week under the Neo Geo Online Collection series. I decided to start a thread about it to address some issues regarding the game- to help anyone on the fence about picking it up.

The collection features KOF 99, 2000, and 2001. The default version of all three seems to be in line with the Dreamcast releases. KOF 99 is the Evolution version with 3D backgrounds, remixed music, and extra strikers. 2000 and 2001 feature the extra mode/features of the DC releases (including the puzzle modes), and has only the regular arcade graphics.

Oddly enough, this version of KOF 2001 DOES NOT have the enhanced higher-res background art seen in the previous PS2 release (WTF?). However, it does have a remixed soundtrack, which to my knowledge has not been included on any other home release.

There is a new "Neo Geo mode" which lets you play the games exactly (almost) as they were on the Neo Geo AES. The most glaring difference in these versions is of course KOF 99.

It sucks that KOF 2001 doesn't have the enhanced backgrounds, but KOF 99 looks really good here- actually better than it did on DC.

The next retro release from SNKP isn't coming onder the Neo Geo Online Collection banner. It's called "Fuuun Super Combo" and appears to be Kizuna Encounter.

2. KOF2000 was my favorite of the three games. Aside from the atrociously exploitable striker system, I thought that the gameplay, moveset, and character roster was really good.

I didn't like how they took out charging in KOF2001, and I didn't like it as a game, in general to be honest.

3. My ears bled when I played KOF2001. Eyes too. It's really horrible. I never was a big fan of 99, 2000 (the best of the three, which isn't saying much), or 2001, so I'm going to pass on this collection if it ever reaches the US.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

4. It will never reach here.

5. Emulation imo.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

6. Quote Originally Posted by voltz View Post
    Emulation imo.
    Out of all the things you can emulate, those three KOF games shouldn't be high on that list.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

7. Dude, that's the nests saga. Of course nobody is gonna want to play it. Only way I'd go for this is if SNK actually got off their butts and gave the game's CPU an overhaul to match what came before all this. Heck it'd be better if they actually tried to compete at SF level.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

8. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    It will never reach here.
    You never know. SNKP is releasing the Art of Fighting collection here. Why they are choosing AOF over other, better games is a mystery.

9. According to play-asia, the set also includes KOF 2002..

Not a bad set (except 2001, yuck) but my only problem is paying a full $50 for a 'collection' game... I'll skip unless it gets a U.S. release.

As for the AOF release for the Wii, I'm not exactly a fan of AOF but hey, you never know. Could be a sign of good things to come..

10. It doesn't include 2002, unless it's some kind of secret unlockable that noone knows about. I'm telling you this because I have the game.