Thread: Sega Reveals Grand Heat

1. Sega Reveals Grand Heat

XenGamers

Today Sega of Japan released images from its latest console racing game Grand Heat. Scheduled for release on all next-generation platforms this fall, Grand Heat is the Japanese version of Acclaim's "time-sensitive racer" Burnout. Players will be required to negotiate bustling traffic and skilled opponents in order to win races. Developed by Criterion Software, the finished version will reportedly feature multiplayer support via split-screen racing. Take a peek at screens from all three incarnations below.

well, this is really fucking disapointing. i remember seeing this on a few release lists a while back and wondering what the hell it was. but yeah, this is really disapointing, i was really looking forward to a new original racer from Sega. oh well, SegaGT is coming out soon, but all that really is a GranTurismo Clone (but what a clone!).

oh well, hopefully we'll hear about the next game in the Sega Rally series soon, i can't wait to get any kind of info on that.

Andy787 Guest
    LMAO Anyway, I'd actually like to try out Burnout, it looks like Acclaim actually put out something pretty good in it. Strange seeing SEGA publish an Acclaim game, but at least it's not a crappy one like Fur Fighters or something...

3. Originally posted by Andy787
    LMAO Anyway, I'd actually like to try out Burnout, it looks like Acclaim actually put out something pretty good in it. Strange seeing SEGA publish an Acclaim game, but at least it's not a crappy one like Fur Fighters or something...

honestly, i bought it and returned it. i liked the way the driving was handled, (having owned and enjoyed most of the PSX ridge racer games, this reminded of those) the thing that made me return it was the way the crashes were handled. When you crashed into someone the game took you right out of the action for a bunch of seconds and showed a nice long crash scene, then a pan out of the action, after that it drops you back in. "Adrenaline Pumping" racing games really shouldnt take you completely out of the action as a "feature".

4. Originally posted by amitavc

honestly, i bought it and returned it. i liked the way the driving was handled, (having owned and enjoyed most of the PSX ridge racer games, this reminded of those) the thing that made me return it was the way the crashes were handled. When you crashed into someone the game took you right out of the action for a bunch of seconds and showed a nice long crash scene, then a pan out of the action, after that it drops you back in. "Adrenaline Pumping" racing games really shouldnt take you completely out of the action as a "feature".
    I can understand why you don't like this feature, but it is a better, and more importantly different, game for it. It massively increases the pressure to not crash, because you take such a time hit, and have to wait before rejoining the fray.

I really liked the game - it's soooo fast and multiplayer is fucking amazing, further illustrating the crash/cut-scene thing's genius.
    She Hates My Futon.
    Got a few hours? Read it.