Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS2 Slim disc swap mod

PS2 Slim disc swap mod

My launch PS2 has finally given up the ghost, so it's time for me to buy a new one, which would be the Slim model. I have read that you can play imports and copies using the disc swap method by fooling the disc lid into thinking it is closed and using the boot discs. I have also searched and read about Josh's fucking up for no apparent reason. I'm not likely to actually mod the PS2 since I don't care THAT much, but the swap discs are cheap and I'd like to get the new KOF that everyone has been raving about.

So, who has done it with the new model, and what kind of results are you getting?
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

Get a chip. swapping discs is for children.

3. GohanX - if you buy the swap thing plz post your findings here. I'm sorta swap-curious.

dakidski: Will do. I don't want to get a mod chip since the install is a little too difficult for me to do, and I don't care about it enough to pay someone else to do it. The Xbox mod is 7 or 8 easy solder points, the PS2... a million tiny points that I don't have the skill to do.

I probably won't get one until after the Wii hits though, don't want to spend all my money on PS2 stuff.

*edit*
    Okay, changed my mind on the waiting thing. I ordered the Swap Magic discs and the fliptop cover (so I wouldn't need to stick the little tools into the PS2)

http://www.modchip.com/ps2/v12fliptop.php

We'll see how it works out.
    Last edited by GohanX; 02 Nov 2006 at 10:41 AM.

5. What's the difference between SwapMagic 3.6 and 3.8? I've seen this thing in action and it works rather well.

From what I can tell, 3.8 is the "coders" version, so it has extra stuff in it for homebrew development. I think it lets you use cheats like a Gameshark too.

7. Very nice. I'm anticipating your experience with it. If it works out fine, then I'm ordering one as well.

Okay, finally got it today (three day shipping my ass) and I have mixed emotions about it.

First of all, the flip-top itself. It's very cheap plastic (even next to the already-cheap PS2 plastic.) It was a little bit of a pain to take the old top out and put the new one on, but it's no biggie really. It doesn't seem to fit quite right, but it is functional. You can either open the flip top normally with the button or lift up the flip top itself. The thing is that the top is held down VERY well, a little too much I think. It can make it a pain when swapping discs, but you don't actually need to close it when doing the disc swap. If I were to do it again, I'd probably skip the top itself and just get the little tool bits that you insert into the PS2 instead.

The better news, the Swap Magic disc itself is superb. I haven't tried the CD disc yet, but the DVD disc is flawless. Pop it in, it quickly boots into the loading menu, then you pop in the disc you want to play. It has a "Regular Boot" and "Alternate Boot" mode. The GodHand disc I have worked in regular mode, KOF XI would only work under alternate mode. I suppose the alt mode is for import discs. Much like other systems, the burned games seem to load slower and be harder on the laser than legit games, but that comes with the territory. It does not load PSX games though, only PS2.

Cliffs Notes:

Flip top is cheap but functional.

Magic Swap 3.6 is awesome. Doesn't load PSX games.

There is a smiliar set called Breaker Pro that works like Swap Magic but is for PS1 games. I don't have it, but I've head it works well in both PSX's and PS2s.