Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sequels that have outdone their predecessors...

MGS did indeed have better story, characters, music, almost everything. The only thing is, the gameplay implementations in MGS2 were great. It was so hard to go back to MGS without the lovely first-person parts.

2. Originally posted by Reno
    I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Street Fighter 2 :P
    um... street fighter 2.

3. I know many would disagree, however, here's what it is to me:

-The Sonic/Shadow levels are my favorite levels in any Sonic game, EVER.
    -The "other" levels (as they're usually referred to as) are not as good as S/S, no. However, they're good in their own right (which does not always mean "Sonic game"), and that helps push this game to a better collection of different game types then many games can execute a single one.
    -Cart racing kind of blows, unfortunately. But it does offer yet another way to play if one is so inclined.
    -Better music.
    -More intense final section.
    -More stuff to unlock for the characters themselves, and Big the Cat sightings for a personal hunting game (like the cheese in Perfect Dark).
    -The grinding added lots of cool stuff to many of the levels, especially Sonic's Final Rush, my favorite level in the whole game.
    -The addition of a Hard mode for all the levels, for getting even better at them.
    Once again, you read my mind. SA2 was one hell of a game, and it deserved MUCH more than most gave it. The only thing I was REALLY angry about was the lack of "World Rankings" contests.

4. [QUOTE]Originally posted by MechDeus

-Cart racing kind of blows, unfortunately. But it does offer yet another way to play if one is so inclined.
    The mini games in SA1 were not that great either, but at least they where varied. Snow/sand boarding, that hammer game, the sonic airplane levels and cart racing.

-Better music.
    I can't really argue with you on this one, it's all a matter of personal taste, but you can not deny the power of Tail's theme in SA1.

-More intense final section.
    Eh, it wasn't that exciting.

-More stuff to unlock for the characters themselves, and Big the Cat sightings for a personal hunting game (like the cheese in Perfect Dark).
    I'll give you that.

-The grinding added lots of cool stuff to many of the levels, especially Sonic's Final Rush, my favorite level in the whole game.
    Agreed, but it was more of gimmick than anything else.

Sonic Adventure did have the nice ability to choose a set of stages to play (which becomes moot once you beat SA2), and also had a greater range of voices to pick from (it had Spanish, French, Japanese and English, while SA2 only had Japanese and English), but that's about all I think it has over it's sequel.
    Don't forget about the world map, a feature which I felt was sorely missed.

I mean, wheres the adventure without it?

Also, don't you think they ruined the Chao's in the sequel with that lame devil/angel concept?

Oh yeah, they also got rid of the jump cancel, a descision that took some getting used to.

And finally, they did not bring back the world rankings, if you took part in this during SA1's hey day you'ld know why it was so great.

5. Originally posted by Regus
    The mini games in SA1 were not that great either, but at least they where varied. Snow/sand boarding, that hammer game, the sonic airplane levels and cart racing.
    The boarding and airplane was cool, but I found I didn't really miss them (especially the other ones). Variety was nice.
    [...] but you can not deny the power of Tail's theme in SA1.
    I suppose that's true.
    Agreed, but it was more of gimmick than anything else.
    It might be, but I also found it a wonderful addition to keep levels connected in such a way that speed could always be a major focus without rigged zip panels everywhere (it gave a nice alternative), and the levels just wouldn't have been the same without them. In fact, if they're removed for SA3, I'll be mighty pissed.

This is also the same reason why I never play Sonic's Egyptian level, it isn't connected as well as the others and has large breaks in it. That stopping of flow just doesn't make it as much fun to blow through like the others, though it does have some great loops.
    Don't forget about the world map, a feature which I felt was sorely missed.
    A very nice way to connect all the levels together, but again, I didn't miss it. Some of their locations in SA2 were very ambiguous when first playing through, but having a map with the locations placed on them that you could see later on helped.

I didn't have too much of a problem with the Chaos, but I never really dug into SA2 Chao breeding like I did with SA.

And there were more major downloadables just for fun (like Sonic's F1 racer).

6. Originally posted by MechDeus

And there were more major downloadables just for fun (like Sonic's F1 racer).
    I don't know, the Christmas download for SA was really cool. It put a Christmas tree in the center of Station Square, and if you touched it, it would play the end theme from NiGHTS (the name of which escapes me, and I hate myself for not being able to remember it).

It's sung by a bunch of guys, so it's probably from Christmas NiGHTS, I'm not really sure.

Oh and Mechdues, you're only 4 posts away from attaining "1337"ness.

*cough*

7. Originally posted by Regus
    Oh and Mechdues, you're only 4 posts away from attaining "1337"ness.
    Ah, I didn't even see that. Suppose I should do a pure 1337 speak post in honor of it.

One of the little touches I loved was in PSO, when I played it near Valentine's Day and there were giant rotating hearts (the nice looking ones, not huge pulstating bloody ones) in the main city. That was nifty, and completely unexpected.

8. Super C, was a much better game, than Contra.

Super Mario 3, did everything that Super Mario did, but 3 times better.

Phantasy Star 2, was way above the great Phantasy Star.

Zelda: A link to the Past, was a much better game, than The Legend of Zelda.

On the other hand, the first Tomb Raider was much better than it's sequels.

9. I'm surprised and saddened that nobody has mentioned Samurai Shodown 2. You are all homo-gay.
    ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA ATA

10. Originally posted by Nash
    um... street fighter 2.
    And Three.

j00 w111 l34rn n3w m34n1ng oph th3 ph33r! Ahem. Sorry about that.