Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will Eisner's THE SPIRIT

1. Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Maybe Frank sold out to complete his circle from being blackballed from the Robocop 2/3 days. Anyway, it's good to see FM getting a non-Sin City directorial role. If he can keep this momentum up, we can see him take the Batman reigns from Nolan (when he's done).

I'll go see this. I don't criticize a movie for being a loose adaptation of a referenced work (it comes with the Hollywood territory), though I admit I am not that familiar with The Spirit.
    OMFG. Frank Miller directing Batman.
    -Mullet Jockey-
    Check out my site!
    Eat. Sleep. Music.

2. It would be one thing for Joe Hollywood to bastardize a comic property. It's something entirely different when it is a comic guy doing it. Especially one who whined for years about how Hollywood fucked with what he created. If FM produced a letter or something saying exactly what Yellar said, I'd do a complete 180 on this; but until that happens, FM can go to hell.

3. Gotham is my mother, I am her Spirit!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    If he can keep this momentum up, we can see him take the Batman reigns from Nolan (when he's done).
    Oh jeez, god forbid. Frank Miller can't even direct a decent Batman comic anymore, let alone a movie.

Let competent filmmakers do Ronin and maybe another Sin City or two and then let's close the ol' Frank Miller well up, because there ain't any good that'll come of it after that.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 22 Jul 2008 at 07:44 PM.

5. That's the spirit!

6. I just watched it. I'll see it cause it looks like a good popcorn flick. Yet my comic fan side says don't cause FM just shit all over Eisner and his legacy.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    Oh jeez, god forbid. Frank Miller can't even direct a decent Batman comic anymore, let alone a movie.
    Oh, come down please. All-Star Batman is fucking hilarious. And if you can't get behind Dark Knight Strikes Again, I don't know what to tell you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

8. The trailer makes the guy look like a black and white pimp whose spiritual advisor is nazi Sam Jackson. It has to be better than just that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    STFU GTFO

9. I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHERFUCKING JEWS IN THIS MOTHERFUCKING CITY!
    Sieg Heil!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I agree with Bacon.
    Frank deserves some bad shit for fucking with the Spirit the way he is. I don't know what the fuck this movie is supposed to be like, but the Spirit, it ain't.
    Ive never read much Spirit but if it was campy like a lot of superhero comics were back in the day, then I think this is gonna nail it.
    I went to the Comic-Con panel for this out of curiosity to see wtf was going on with this movie. They showed three 2-minute or so sections of the it and while a lot of the visuals look "Sin-City-ish" the dialogue and action sure wasnt.
    One of the scenes had Spirit laying the mack on Ellen Doran in the police station (the screen in the trailer where she tells him to leave his mask on) and the dialogue and scene that played out after that sounded like something out of a Dick Tracy movie. Almost like 'ham-it-up', roll your eyes type, 'was that supposed to be funny' humor....just like Im sure old Will Eisner written Spirit comics would be.
    The other scene they showed was a hand to hand fight between Sam Jackson's Octopus character and Spirit, in some mud pit. Felt like I was watching a Looney Tunes cartoon. Sam Jackson hits Spirit with a big-ass wrench about the size of a jackhammer (I guess it was just chillin out there in the mud) in the balls with goofy sound effect, and lifts it up with Spirit sitting on it.Followed by Spirit punching the shit out of him in the mud, only to see, 'Hey, he's not in the mud anymore", followed by Sam Jackson peeking his head around Spirits shoulder with a grin on his face, then hitting Spirit over the head with a toilet. I mean, its not going to be angsty and dark like Sin City. after watching this its going to be a goofier comedic affair.