Thread: Dream Hunter Rem - 1985 OVA

1. Dream Hunter Rem - 1985 OVA

Dream Hunter Rem is an very original and unique anime 3 episode OVA series released from 1985 to 1987. It is about a character called Rem Ayanokōji who is a dream hunter. She is a woman capable of entering the dreams of sleeping people in an attempt to extinguish the demons causing the nightmares. Perhaps one of the most fascinating aspects of Dream Hunter Rem are the educational Dream Sequences that feature in the middle of each OVA. The show is also very diverse in it's execution shifting between many genres such as fantasy, horror, romance and drama.

Unfortunately you won't be able to see the diversity of Rem since the episode included below is only the first half of OVA 1 since that was all that was released by AnimeCoalition. It is taken directly from laserdisc and the quality is very good. However since then the show has been rescued from obscurity and remastered for a dvd release in Japan. Currently a boxset containing all 3 episodes plus extras have been released to which it currently retails for around $120 although can be attained at a much cheaper price through a bit of searching.

Here is the link to the episode below:

Dream Hunter Rem - 01 (Download via Torrent)

Trivia - Dream Hunter Rem visually looks quite similiar to a videogame called Time Gal which is an anime laserdisc game released in 1985 and later ported to the Sega Mega Cd in 1992. Despite appearances there is no direct link between the two although the game itself is very good and highly regarded by anime fans.

Stayed Tuned - More Rare 80's Anime Classics Coming Soon...
    Last edited by mcarocks2003; 17 May 2007 at 07:57 AM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by mcarocks2003 View Post

Dream Hunter Rem is an very original and unique anime 3 episode OVA series released from 1985 to 1987. It is about a character called Rem Ayanokōji who is a dream hunter. She is a woman capable of entering the dreams of sleeping people in an attempt to extinguish the demons causing the nightmares. Perhaps one of the most fascinating aspects of Dream Hunter Rem are the educational Dream Sequences that feature in the middle of each OVA. The show is also very diverse in it's execution shifting between many genres such as fantasy, horror, romance and drama.

Unfortunately you won't be able to see the diversity of Rem since the episode included below is only the first half of OVA 1 since that was all that was released by AnimeCoalition. It is taken directly from laserdisc and the quality is very good. However since then the show has been rescued from obscurity and remastered for a dvd release in Japan. Currently a boxset containing all 3 episodes plus extras have been released to which it currently retails for around $120 although can be attained at a much cheaper price through a bit of searching.

Here is the link to the episode below:

Dream Hunter Rem - 01 (Download via Torrent)

Trivia - Dream Hunter Rem visually looks quite similiar to a videogame called Time Gal which is an anime laserdisc game released in 1985 and later ported to the Sega Mega Cd in 1992. Despite appearances there is no direct link between the two although the game itself is very good and highly regarded by anime fans.

Stayed Tuned - More Rare 80's Anime Classics Coming Soon...
    WHEN/HOW DO I GET TEH dvd BOX SET? OR ALL 3 EPISODES WITH SUBTITLES? tHE first one from the link is fabulous. Thanks sooooo much

stfu noob

I'd probably use dc++ to search for something like that.

4. Or both hands and a flashlight.

5. HUH d++ ? flashlights???

I was looking for the dvd's or any english subbed versions of the series as well.
    Anyone have any luck or could possibly point me in the right direction

6. He said use DC++ you jackoff.

7. Go to Japan to get the DVDs. Or a Japanese store like.... Amazon Japan! There's no English release, if you couldn't gather that from mcarocks's post.

8. So I watched this the other day. Knowing that it was originally a hentai film really colored my experience, as I would ask myself in every scene if sexy times were supposed to be happening (are those penis rocks in mcarocks's post?). And you know what she meant when she told the nightmare-haunted girl that if she got a boyfriend the bad dreams would go away. The strange pseudo-hentai bits were made even stranger by the fact that the show is super cute. Like, super duper cute. And maybe it's because this was just the first episode, but the monk guy in the woods isn't explained at all and hardly even acknowledged. In any case, I thought the visual style was charming and the simple plot is fun enough that I'd watch the other two episodes.