Page 1 of 10 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: RPG Recommendations, Please

1. RPG Recommendations, Please

I've recently "discovered" RPGs. I played Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story when they were released, but that was really it until I played FFXII late last year. To my surprise, I enjoyed it immensely, logging almost 100 hours.

I'm hoping to get some recommendations. I'd actually prefer turn-based combat but that's not necessarily a requirement. I'm also not against trying something unusual and experimental.

I'm currently playing Shadow Hearts (which is awesome) and have SH: Covenant ready. I also have a half-finished game of Lost Odyssey, which I will get back to - I liked it fine, but not nearly as much as SH. I tried Persona 3, but it couldn't get into it at all. I've played Jade Empire and Mass Effect.

I have a PS2, DC, XB, 360, and Wii. I'm considering purchasing a handheld, but am not sure what.

I know there's lots of stuff out there, but TNL is the best filter in existence. Thanks!

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

Dragon Quest VIII. It's totally old-school obviously, but man, once the world opens up, it really opens up. One of my favorite game worlds ever. Plus, I found the characters to be really endearing and the side quest stuff to be way beyond filler. I love this game.

3. Rogue Galaxy
    Persona 3 FES
    Nocturne
    Digital Devil Saga 1/2

Western RPGs

Mass Effect
    KOTOR
    Oblivion
    Last edited by kingoffighters; 22 Jul 2008 at 12:35 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    Dragon Quest VIII. It's totally old-school obviously, but man, once the world opens up, it really opens up. One of my favorite game worlds ever. Plus, I found the characters to be really endearing and the side quest stuff to be way beyond filler. I love this game.
    This man speaks the unvarnished truth, and we should all praise him for it. And you should act in accordance with his recommendation immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

5. The DS and PSP both have great selections. Handhelds are the place to be for JRPGs right now.

I'd say get Skies of Arcadia first and foremost. That's my preference.

Do you like Strategy RPGs? Grab Disgaea or something and see if you're into it... that's where most of the turn-based action is at. NIS has a handful of good ones on the PS2, and you're backwards compatible with Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Vandal Hearts, etc.

6. Xenogears (PS) - Pretty much the best PS RPG, though the second disc suffers from issues due to it being incomplete. Still awesome.
    Chrono Cross (PS) - Great game all around and a fantastic soundtrack, but the character design is a little wonky.
    Valkyrie Profile (PS/PSP) - A very different style of RPG which uses a platforming style to navigate dungeons, a combo system for the combat, and has a pseudo time limit hanging over your actions. Good and unique.
    Final Fantasy IX (PS) - A slow-paced combat system that is focused around a secret invisible timing meter drags the gameplay down, but the writing, characters, and the world are immensely charming and wonderful.
    Suikoden (PS) - A light, easy playing RPG that's fun and quick.

I'd go for those first, it sounds like you've already played a number of the other great ones. Speaking of which, I'm glad people are recommending games he already has or said he didn't like. Personally I found DQVIII to be boring as hell, empty, and riding solely on a few pieces of nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by squall_vb View Post
    This man speaks the unvarnished truth, and we should all praise him for it. And you should act in accordance with his recommendation immediately.
    Honestly. I'm not even going to recommend anything else because DQVIII felt like the culmination of everything I'd ever been hoping for in JRPGs.

Though Lunar: The Silver Star Story is awesome.

And Earthbound is the greatest game ever made.

8. How about PC RPGs? Because Planescape - Torment is the best RPG I've ever played.

9. Ah yes, I've had my eye on DQVIII. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by køda View Post
    I'd say get Skies of Arcadia first and foremost. That's my preference.
    Oops, I forgot to mention - I played that too, and thought it was wonderful.

Do you like Strategy RPGs? Grab Disgaea or something and see if you're into it... that's where most of the turn-based action is at.
    Never played one, but I like what I've seen & heard, and I think I'd enjoy em. I'll check those out - thanks a lot!

edit: I have a PC but it's, er, blue-collar, as I use it largely for school. Is Torment an older title? If so, my machine might be able to run it.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

10. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    Honestly. I'm not even going to recommend anything else because DQVIII felt like the culmination of everything I'd ever been hoping for in JRPGs.

Though Lunar: The Silver Star Story is awesome.

And Earthbound is the greatest game ever made.
    Earthbound is my "desert island" game. I think Ness and friends could help me fight off the psychological effects of prolonged solitude. I love it that much.

It truly is a horrible thing that Nintendo showers us with twenty iterations of fucking Mario (insert sport) games, but won't give us a proper Mother anthology.

But yeah, even though it's an SNES game, Bio should play Earthbound anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.