Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travis Charest

1. Travis Charest

My old Travis thread is closed, so for fans of the best/slowest comic book artist ever I decided to make a new thread since there's been a major development in his recent career.

Anyone that's followed him will know that his artwork is amazingly detailed but the man himself is slow as shit- his X-Men/Wildcats one-shot book reportedly took a year to draw.

Anyway, back in the beginning of the current decade (April 2000, to be exact), he announced that he was now working for a French outfit and drawing/painting a graphic novel for them based on a character called The Metabaron called The Dreamshifters. On the FAQ located on the Official Travis Charet Gallery, the folllowing release date was revealed:

Q: When can we expect to see the Metabaron book?

A: The Metabaron book will be out by November 2001, knock on wood.
    Now, anyone with a brain knew that he was going to be late, but it's now May 2007 and STILL no word on his progress. Until now, that is:

Living in Paris, Charest has been all that time painting a project for that publisher, a Metabarons graphic novel, starting in April 2000. As of 2007 Travis has finally left the project after merely 30 pages done in 6 years, to be completed by Serbian artist Zoran Janjetov who previously worked in the same Alexandro Jodorowsky "Incal" universe on "John Defaul" and "Technopriests".

Travis Charest has left Paris and returned to America since.
    30 pages in 6 years? wtf.

What a slow, lazy bastard.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 24 May 2007 at 03:53 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. He first caught my eye on Darkstars. I followed him from there to Wildcats.
    His Vol.2 stuff was gorgeous, but not worth the wait.

3. Link to Travis' message board where he explains what happened with the Metabaron/Dreamshifters book.

http://groups.msn.com/travischarest/...lete=0&CDir=-2

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. Wow.

I think maybe being a consistent cover artist would be the best course of action at the moment, it seems sequentials just aren't his thing.

5. Exactly. The guy's just not cut out to be a comic book artist. I wonder when he'll finally figure that out.

6. He's a great artist but damn, that is a long time. I wonder how he supports himself on being an artist, with his stuff coming so slowly. I think its safe to say that he cant, works a crappy job on the side, and on his free time tries to do some of a page or two.

I think this guy reminds me a bit like Joe Maderera. They have spurts of really great work, get burned out, slow down, and just seem to move on to other things not related to their art ( just assuming here based on how long it takes anything of theirs to get done).

7. Joe Madureira takes forever. I loved his X-men comic. Then when he had free reign on his comic it took like 6mths for one issue. Battle Chasers was awesome, but jesus could you bring a comic out on time? plskthx.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Joe Madureira takes forever. I loved his X-men comic. Then when he had free reign on his comic it took like 6mths for one issue. Battle Chasers was awesome, but jesus could you bring a comic out on time? plskthx.
    Battlechasers was fucking awesome.

Apparently in the middle of that he started getting into videogames and got sucked in by FF7. Next thing you know he's quiting the comic industry and trying to design videogames. Crazy.

9. And then he stopped making games and anime movies. And is now back to doing covers. Look up Iron and the Maiden.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	391.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	248.3 KB 
ID:	24343  
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    And then he stopped making games and anime movies. And is now back to doing covers. Look up Iron and the Maiden.
    Not bad, but man what a waste of good talent.An article I just read mentioned that Joe is STILL working on a videogame project.Makes about as much sense to me as Michael Jordan trying to play baseball.

And apparently the writer of Iron and the Maiden is the founder of Naughty Dog of Crash Bandicoot fame?