Thread: Audio/sound problems when playing DVDs on an Acer notebook

1. Audio/sound problems when playing DVDs on an Acer notebook

Hey. I just picked up an Acer Aspire 3680 notebook (running Vista, sadly, but it was a good sale) and I already have a problem. I called their support line but the tech I talked to was borderline retarded, so I thought I'd give you fine gentlemen a try.

The 3680 has 2 programs for watching DVDs- Windows Media Player and Acer Arcade. Both applications have problems.

Windows Media Player plays the video with no problems, but when the program first opens it gives me the following error: "The audio format is not supported by the application. Would you like to watch the DVD with Acer Arcade?" If you say no, Windows Media Player plays the DVD, but with no sound whatsoever.

However, if you play the DVD with Acer Arcade, the audio plays fine- but there's a problem with the video! It's not too choppy, but you can tell it's skipping frames here and there, making the picture look kind of jumpy. This video problem is not present with Windows Media Player.

I tested this with multiple DVDs, and the same exact issue happened with them all. Also, I tested a few DVDs down at Best Buy on the 3680 floor model and yup, the same exact thing happened, so it must be some kind of problem affecting them all.

The 3680's sound works fine otherwise.

So, has anyone heard of this problem, and are there any fixes? So far Acer has been no help at all and if I don't find a fix soon, I'm just returning the thing. I'm discovering that I really didn't need a laptop as much as I thought, anyway.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 30 May 2007 at 03:59 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. Off the top of my head try Media Player Classic, IIRC it has internal decoders for DVD video and audio, so you shouldn't see any problems.

To get WMP working install AC3Filter, it's a decoder for DD/DTS and such and it's excellent; fast, good sound quality, lots of mixing options, etc. MPC can use it as well.

3. I'll give AC3Filter a shot. Thanks.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww