Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: Soul Calibur 4

1. I remember buying SC3 day one and saw it on ebay 3 days later for $20. Fuck me if that happens with this one.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

2. There's a Soul Edge machine and a MvC2 machine in the cafeteria at work. I've never seen either played even once.

I find it stupid that there is a Soul Calibur 2,3,4, etc., when Soul Calibur is in fact the second in the series.

The DC SC was only broke by a couple unbalanced characters but I can't think of a 3D fighter I've had more fun with since. II & III just brought unnecessary and annoying changes. I did like the designs for Talim, Zasalamel, and Tira though, but Raphael and Setsuka suck.

This one needs to be a real sequel and not a series of tweaks to what will be a nearly decade old game by the time this one comes out.

3. Setsuka is a monster upper-tier character in tournaments, so your point is invalid.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

4. Soul Calibur = a decent 7/10 fighting game that was blown out of proportion by the media during the Dreamcast launch.

Soul Calibur 2 = an abysmal rehash of an average fighting game with console exclusive characters thrown in to distract everyone from the fact that they just bought the same damn game twice.

Soul Calibur 3 = so bad that I forgot there even was a Soul Calibur 3

Soul Calibur 4 = I don't give a fuck. I'd rather play that "Soul Calibur Adventure" game for the Wii...even though I know its going to be horrible...simply because of the fact that almost every Wii title thus far has been horrible.

5. Well at least I'm happy.

There was a Soul Calibur 3?

2 was fun as hell. (<3 talim)
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I'll take Virtua Fighter, over Tekken and Dead or Alive anyday.

Dead or Alive is indeed gutter trash. VF doesn't suck so much as i find it
    really boring which is why i prefure Tekken and Soul Calibur. Fun > Sim anyday.

JBNagis

8. I bought a Dreamcast launch day with Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur. I bought into the Soul Calibur hype, it was supposedly so friggin good. The videos I saw on the net were incredible. It turned out to be one of the best fighting games I've ever played. The only fighting game that I consistently played with any of my friends since Street Fighter 2. We would pass the controller around for hours with that game.

I only played a little of Soul Calibur 2. By this time I was rusty and didn't put much playtime in it.

I was pleasantly surprised with Soul Calibur 3. Picked it up for $20 since I missed Soul Calibur. I really dig the increased speed. The sidestepping feels more intuitive than I remember in the original. I'm all about Mitsirugi and it appeared that they shortened his reach, I kept feeling like my attacks should have connected. Shorter sword? Anyway, I felt like I was forced to switch to a more defensive tactics playing against inexperienced players that mashed away with longer reach weapons, having to sidestep a lot. I like that you may have to change tactics depending on the players (rock+paper+scissors) but I got the impression that the gameplay was so unbalanced that it didn't even make a difference. I suppose the balance suffered because it wasn't released for arcades. It's still a fun game and that's all that matters.

9. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Wouldn't that credit go to Virtua Fighter 5?

that is an arcade port, not made specifically for the next-gen consoles... i even covered my ass with one of the first because of VF5 and potentially tekken 6, if it drops first.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

10. SC3 is one of those games you really have to give a chance in order to see it's full potential. Lower tier characters like Rock and Amy can be a real surprise for anyone once you get their patterns figured out.