Page 5 of 91 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Soul Calibur 4

1. I think Soul Calibur's freaking great. I had no idea there was this backlash against it, although I spent almost no time with 3 and never owned my own copy. But I'm all over this when it hits.

Quote Originally Posted by JBNagis View Post
    Yeah but Virtua Fighter sucks. So it doesn't count.

JBNagis
    You get 1 million wrong points, VF is the best fighting game series going these days. There's absolutely nothing else that matches its complexity or elegance of design. When it comes to 3D fighters, Soul Calibur's my second favourite though. I love the fluid and intuitive controls.

Quote Originally Posted by onelocust
    I find it stupid that there is a Soul Calibur 2,3,4, etc., when Soul Calibur is in fact the second in the series.
    Does it bother you that there's a Super Mario Bros. 2 as well?
    -Kyo

Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo View Post
    I think Soul Calibur's freaking great. I had no idea there was this backlash against it, although I spent almost no time with 3 and never owned my own copy. But I'm all over this when it hit.
    Me too. I had mad fun with SC3. Having a chick with Asteroths animations and move set is just too fun.

You get 1 million wrong points, VF is the best fighting game series going these days. There's absolutely nothing else that matches its complexity or elegance of design. When it comes to 3D fighters, Soul Calibur's my second favourite though. I love the fluid and intuitive controls.
    I corrected myself on that one. Its not that VF sucks. I just find it extremely boring. I dont have any fun playing VF. Especially compared to SC and Tekken. Fun for me trumps Elegance as far as fighting games is concerned.

JBNagis

3. I don't find VF any more boring than any other 3D fighter, but the character design and presentation are a little flat compared to the fireworks show that most fighting games have evolved into.

I loved SoulBlade and played it to death, and although I never put as much time into it, I really liked Soul Calibur as well. SC2 is good, but nothing special, and SC3 just seems like the same old game, but dumbed down, and with a shitload of characters and extra modes thrown in to compensate.
    As far as SC4 goes, I think Namco needs to revisit some of the things from SoulBlade that got dropped for SC1. Things like the critical edge and disarming opponents could make the series fresh again, if they're handled properly. It doesn't need dozens of characters, though, just a small cast of solid characters.

4. Quote Originally Posted by JBNagis View Post
    I corrected myself on that one. Its not that VF sucks. I just find it extremely boring. I dont have any fun playing VF. Especially compared to SC and Tekken. Fun for me trumps Elegance as far as fighting games is concerned.
    We heard you the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I don't find VF any more boring than any other 3D fighter, but the character design and presentation are a little flat compared to the fireworks show that most fighting games have evolved into.
    Yeah I always felt that way when I noticed how standard everyone was to their own fighting art. Kinda in the "Token black guy" sort of thing, but at least I was able to put wings on Sarah and make her look something demonic.

As far as SC4 goes, I think Namco needs to revisit some of the things from SoulBlade that got dropped for SC1. Things like the critical edge and disarming opponents could make the series fresh again, if they're handled properly. It doesn't need dozens of characters, though, just a small cast of solid characters.
    True. I recall Li Long making a comeback and he was using some of his old movesets, plus the critical edge which I thought worked out great till he was revamped for the arcade release and lost all that. I think most changes and decisions come under more of a political bias then knowing what works, so I'm not gonna bother holding my breath on the next game.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    the only weapons based fighter i care about anymore is not this series.

samurai showdown
    Bushido Blade IMO.

I like Soul Calibur but I played the shit out of 2 so much that I'm not interested in it. I remember reading here when they released 3 and I said that it was far too soon to be shoving another sequel out the door. Watering down your series with sequels too close together creates a lot of marketplace apathy. SC3 may have been the best in the series, but because I had already played 2 to death I wasn't that keen on going back in to that specific world. I needed a break.

The next gen hardware might provide some interesting new options to entice me to check it out, but probably not. This is, afterall, just a fighting game.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 03 Jun 2007 at 12:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

lol @ Bushido Blade

That game would have gotten zero attention is Square wasn't on the case.

7. Never knew so many people didn't like Soul Calibur

Its still one of my favorite fighting games

8. Im surprised that Namco may be putting this one out close to a Tekken 6 release. Usually it seems like there is a bit of a buffer period (about a year or so?) between the release of the next in Calibur series following a previous Tekken. This kinda makes me think the next one is going to be rushed.

9. Dreamcast

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Bushido Blade IMO.
    Bushido Blade 2 IMO.

And I brought video evidence:

Unbelievably awesome intro music (Synth guitar? Why not?)

2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    lol @ Bushido Blade

That game would have gotten zero attention is Square wasn't on the case.
    I liked the first BB, but lol @ everything Light Weight made following. Not one good game since. Oh well.