Page 1 of 46 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we destroy religion?

1. How do we destroy religion?

So my pastor was on one of his usual anti-religion tirades the other day and it got me thinking.

Bhuddism, Catholocism, Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Shintoism, Humanitarianism, Scientology. Whatever the name, we all agree that religion serves no purpose except to control the ignorant and bilk the gullible out of their money. Without religion, we'd finally be able to make progress as a species so it only stands that we'd better off shucking the shackles of superstitious nonsense.

The trouble is that religion is ingrained into human culture.

We are the generation that will soon assume control of this world's institutions and power infrastructures. How do we dismantle an institution that has brought only evil to this world that people are willing to kill for?

Yes I'm being serious, no this isn't a troll or master plan thread. If I'm going to educate the ignorant and dispel the fallacy of religion around the world like I plan to then I need some ideas to work with.

2. TMP!!!
    Boo, Hiss.

If I go to the grocery store at my usual time Sunday morning, and I have to stand in line, I'm coming after your ass.

4. Eh, we cannot destroy religion. What we really need is to get enough atheists in positions of power and use them to simply filter out anyone who engages in "magical thinking."

Honestly I have no problem with most religious people, as its not the controlling force in their lives. But when I hear statements like, "Its god's will," or we're a nation blessed by god, that why we're here and the answer is god, tho I'd heartily accept an, "I don't know" over a god answer any day.

Problem with my tactic is it will be notoriously hard to enforce as religious discrimination is illegal, and lets face it, this is religious discrimination even though my prime concern is the degree of power they will hold. Most people are borderline cases anyway, they have some belief but its impossible to tell if it is controlling in any way. That and there's a hell of alot of people who just generally believe in superstition anyway.

And I'm not going to advocate genocide or "reeducation camps." The anti-theists are a minority and will have to compete in the marketplace of ideas like everyone else. Organization and advocacy are the proper tools.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Master of 7s View Post
    So my pastor was on one of his usual anti-religion tirades the other day and it got me thinking.

Bhuddism, Catholocism, Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Shintoism, Humanitarianism, Scientology. Whatever the name, we all agree that religion serves no purpose except to control the ignorant and bilk the gullible out of their money. Without religion, we'd finally be able to make progress as a species so it only stands that we'd better off shucking the shackles of superstitious nonsense.

The trouble is that religion is ingrained into human culture.

We are the generation that will soon assume control of this world's institutions and power infrastructures. How do we dismantle an institution that has brought only evil to this world that people are willing to kill for?

Yes I'm being serious, no this isn't a troll or master plan thread. If I'm going to educate the ignorant and dispel the fallacy of religion around the world like I plan to then I need some ideas to work with.

way to generalize things, this is why you fail at thinking, and rhetoric like this is one reason why other religious people are seen in a bad light by non-believers

religion is not the things you listed, it is leading a moral, generous, giving, prosperous, compassionate, charitable,loving, healthy, and happy life to the best of your ability

it is following good teachings and learning to use those teachings to benefit yourself and others

it is having faith in those good teachings and the ones who are the teachers and the ones who the teachings are about

and that you will be a better person for following those teachings here and wherever you may end up after death

for those who misinterpret to put down or make war for differences, or force beliefs on others, or use their knowledge for evil and greed,they are the ones who truly are not representative of religion but of humanity and its mistakes. unfortunately those are the ones who are seen and discussed

think for yourself and choose your path and words carefully. the posts you have made lately do not reflect well and with thinking like this it will make your mission impossible

6. I don't think we need to destroy religion. Many of them are more focused on the way you live your life as opposed to giving your money to people and cowering before a universal force, and that can be a very good thing. Dismantling religion as a power in government and media, on the other hand, I'd be all for. I like seperation of church and state.

[edit] And what D_N_G said.

7. How can we destroy religion threads on TNL?

8. Quote Originally Posted by D_N_G View Post

religion is not the things you listed, it is leading a moral, generous, giving, prosperous, compassionate, charitable,loving, healthy, and happy life to the best of your ability
    I wouldn't say that's what 'religion' is. Cause I do this myself. All of those things are outside of religion, not in one's personality because of it.

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."

Well. Shintoism and Buddism are more ways of life than actual religion.
    And its not the actual religion that controls and cons people as much as the corrupt leaders of the religion. So if your gonna make a statement like that it should concentrate on getting rid of wrong people and putting people that reinforce faith and understanding. People who actually live and breath the teachings of what ever book they read from.
    Instead most leaders just use it as an excuse to goto war,or hate. And they say its in gods name. When if they were true followers of thier dogma, war and hate would be the last thing on thier minds. It would be helping people who need help. Trying to end war on others and realizing that love is love no matter the language(which is the only real difference between most religions). Your pastor is blind if he doesnt see somethin so transparent as that.

JBNagis

10. I agree with that but theres also problems that stem from the religion itself. For instance someone thinking that they are somehow better than someone else simply because they are Christian. Or, and this is a personal example, someone thinking you're going to go slit a puppies throat or eat their baby just because you don't believe in an invisible man in the sky.

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."