Page 15 of 494 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: The Workout Thread

1. I started working out for serious when this thread started quite a while back (thanks, Dole!). I developed some pretty sweet titty muscles amongst other things. I am the same weight as when I started (I was down to around 170ish last year but since I've gone back up to 180ish) but I definetly have a hell of a lot more muscle. I still feel kinda fat on some days.

Tomorrow starts the "lolserious business at the gym" routine because I want to look sexy for your mom lol.

I would run more but sometimes my knees ache even after walking up stairs. I would do more situps/crunches/leg lifts/whatever if my whole back didnt go up in flames after one or two sets. I "run" for at least 20-30 minutes on the eliptical at the gym (doesnt hurt the ol' knees) everytime I go in to work out but I'd like to find something else. I really suck at basketball and I cant go back to hockey because I dont have a team. Any suggestions?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Rhydant View Post
    I would run more but sometimes my knees ache even after walking up stairs. I would do more situps/crunches/leg lifts/whatever if my whole back didnt go up in flames after one or two sets. I "run" for at least 20-30 minutes on the eliptical at the gym (doesnt hurt the ol' knees) everytime I go in to work out but I'd like to find something else. I really suck at basketball and I cant go back to hockey because I dont have a team. Any suggestions?
    In my experience everyone says they have "bad knees" and they "can't run". Running is just like any excercise - you need to have correct form, start slowly, and it will be uncomfortable at first.

After you stick with it a while, you'll become more comfortable with it and the pain will subside.

For many people after they start running the muscles around the knee tighten up and better hold the knee in place which makes the knee feel better when they run, which facilitates even more running.

Of course some people have legitimate medical reasons for not running, but I recommend that everyone see a doctor, have their legs checked out, and most likely they'll get the a-okay.

In my opinion nothing can top running, but if you are looking for other cardio excercises, you could give the ole rowing machine a go, or try a low weight/high rep/short time between sets work out like that Randy Couture workout I mentioned early in the thread.

All just my opinion of course.

3. his back hurting makes me worry. for crunches, it could just be bad form but bad form for crunches usually means a sore neck. for everything else i'm thinking reverse situps would be an option. no weight at first, then slowly add some in held to your chest. having your core working fine in the front but not the back means either improper form underdeveloped back muscles. in which case i would watch how much you do on squats. no need to blow out your back for your leg development.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Rhydant View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Biking and swimming are both good.

5. i have to suggest to everybody to pick up the perfect pushup, god damn will that thing leave you sore the first time you use it, after that you can feel the results, its good for pretty much your entire upper body, and its only $20 at wal-mart

6. I've always wondered about Bowflex, is it any good?

7. you'd be better off with a real weight machine.

8. Quote Originally Posted by everlast88 View Post
    i have to suggest to everybody to pick up the perfect pushup, god damn will that thing leave you sore the first time you use it, after that you can feel the results, its good for pretty much your entire upper body, and its only $20 at wal-mart

IMO.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Rhydant View Post
    I started working out for serious when this thread started quite a while back (thanks, Dole!).
    Did I give you some advice? I don't remember. But you're welcome anyway.

I really suck at basketball and I cant go back to hockey because I dont have a team. Any suggestions?
    Tennis is a good workout, and it's usually easy to find one other person to play with.

Also, find some rough terrain and go hiking. Or a pool and go swimming. Or a bicycle and go biking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidnemo View Post
    In my opinion nothing can top running
    Kidnemo may not ever be able to finish drawing Washed Ashore, but he's 100% on the ball with this. Whenever I run, bodyfat pratically melts off.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 07 Feb 2008 at 04:44 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

10. Quote Originally Posted by Thief Silver View Post
    I've always wondered about Bowflex, is it any good?
    I'm sure Bowflex would be fine to start out with if you can't or don't want to join a gym. The top end home gyms, though, will cost much more than a gym membership. For the amount of one of those, you could join 24 hour fitness or something like that for the next 10 years. Also you don't get all the benefits like a pool, tennis courts, basketball courts, etc.