Page 3 of 494 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: The Workout Thread

I realize this was addressed briefly in the old thread, and have read it, but I could use a bit more guidance on the matter:

I've been working out fairly diligently for the past few months, and have been seeing real improvement. Not quite where I want to be yet, but getting on up there. In the past few weeks I've realized that my eating habits are more of a problem than my actual diet (which is quite good) and have started eating 5 smaller meals per day rather than one or two large ones (I never used to eat breakfast) and the results so far have been great.

But now I feel that I've reached a sort of plateau, and so I ask:

Is it possible to reconcile heavy drinking with losing weight?

I'm a beer drinker, and I realize that's a biggy right there. I love beer, but I'd be content to just sip on one and pound a few shots instead. Problem is, from all I'm reading, a shot of liquor is about as bad, if not worse, than a beer because of how the liver deals with alcohol. Does it really have to be one or the other?

I've given up drinking at home, but I'd still like to go out for a few once or twice a week. What are your strategies for keeping in shape and still drinking?
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

2. Work out more and drink the same or work out the same and drink less.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Kidnemo View Post
    Work out more and drink the same or work out the same and drink less.
    KidNemo's right - unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it to. Ain't that a bitch!
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill

4. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    In the past few weeks I've realized that my eating habits are more of a problem than my actual diet (which is quite good) and have started eating 5 smaller meals per day rather than one or two large ones (I never used to eat breakfast) and the results so far have been great.
    That's probably the best decision you could have made regarding your eating habits. Eating smallers meals more frequently boosts your metabolism. Also, skipping breakfast is one of the biggest diet mistakes most people make.

I've given up drinking at home, but I'd still like to go out for a few once or twice a week. What are your strategies for keeping in shape and still drinking?

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    O WORD?
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

6. I bought a 180# weight set with a 45# bar and dumbbells. Started my "triathlon" this morning -- run 1.5 miles, do 3 sets of 5 reps (curls, bench press, squats - I have no bench so I can't do anything for my hamstrings), swim 4 laps in the pool. Any suggestions on how to improve that without buying more shit?
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. Do either strength or aerobic, don't do both in the same session. You'll lift less and tire out faster while running/swimming.

8. So alternate every other day?
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

So if any of you remember, I used to work out a ton in highschool and remained pretty skinny. Well after my first year in college I went from 150ish to 180lbs thanks to working out a ton and my older body reacting to it. Now that I'm back home from summer I have nowhere to work out for these next few months without paying an insane startup fee at a gym.

So, my question is, do you guys think that a manual labor job and jiu jitsu (wrestling) 3 days a week will retain my muscle mass? I'm not worried with gaining for the time being, I'd just like to keep what I have. Also, might taking creatine help offset the loss? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidski View Post
    prolapsed rectum 4 lyfe.

10. Jiu jitsu is for queers.