Page 5 of 494 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: The Workout Thread

1. You will get in better shape doing Karate than you will doing Aikido. Neither of them will teach you how to fight though. Wrestling, jiujitsu, kickboxing, or boxing will get you in waaay better shape than both.

Yep, it was peevee who does the aikido/sword stuff, I'll have him check out this thread the next time I see him on.

I will also add unless you are a 10 year old kid, you aren't going to get much out of karate or aikido regarding self discipline. Unless your idea of discipline is bowing to a fat karate guy.

That is just my opinion of course.

Let us know how the karate goes.

2. lol, if I actually stick with something, that's an improvement in self discipline

My problem is that, I may not be 10, but I certainly act like it in a good deal of sense. It's more just taking the time to focus on something, which yeah I can do that with other things, but none of the things I focus on at the moment really offer much benefit to me.

I just want more of a fun way to work out, so I should probably just go with Karate. I don't really care so much about knowing how to fight. But what form of martial arts if any would you say is best suited to be attributed to actually knowing how to fight?

This is the place I'll probably be going http://www.asianma.com/

They're the only area around here that offers Iaido, plus no contract or any of that bullshit. If I take two classes they give half off on the other so $75 for two classes doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.

It's more about just excercising in a way that I would enjoy moreso than say going to the gym (At least until I get some gym partners which this one really hot chick if she moves down here I'll be going with, in which case, gym would win)

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Lift first in your workout and you'll be at full strength, in addition to using up the glycogen (sugar) stored in your muscles. When it's time for the cardio, the lowered level of glycogen means your body will have to tap into its fat for energy, thus you'll burn more.
    I've been doing this for the past two weeks and it really makes a difference. My 25 minute run was becomming a breeze even at a steep incline. Now after I do my lifts, lunges and squats more specifically but any lifting in general, I'm huffing by the 20 minute mark and just grind through the rest like a majestic hero.

I need to get heavier weights though. Right now I'm just kind of getting the hang of the form, but I will. I'm also doing crunches based on the advice that someone gave me in this thread (whom I can't remember) that it will help me out in general. I always had a nice peak on my arms naturally when I flex. But my tricep exercises are really working well.

My friend Steve says I should go over to his house and use his bench press for some bench workouts. But I'm secretely suspicious he's just looking to score a little eye candy for 45 minutes 3 times a week. Are bench workouts really beneficial? Every movie ever with weights seems to think so.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 18 Jun 2007 at 10:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. Probably depends on how buff you want, I just want a little tone in my muscles and to burn like 5-10 pounds.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Thief Silver View Post
    Probably depends on how buff you want, I just want a little tone in my muscles and to burn like 5-10 pounds.
    LOL!

Get back to us when you accidentally look like Jay Cutler.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

6. Deal.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Are bench workouts really beneficial? Every movie ever with weights seems to think so.
    Yes. When done correctly you should be using your abs, chest, deltoids (to some extent), and triceps. Plus, you're using stabilizer muscles to control the movement of the bar. Now, how much weight and the number of reps in your set will determine how much bulk, etc. you will gain.
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill

8. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    My fucking ass and legs are still aching....Fucking fuck them up their butts.
    omghomo

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

9. Quote Originally Posted by Kidnemo View Post
    I will also add unless you are a 10 year old kid, you aren't going to get much out of karate or aikido regarding self discipline. Unless your idea of discipline is bowing to a fat karate guy.
    Agreed. I took karate as a kid. My instructor admitted to the class he couldn't teach us spinning kicks 'cause he was too fat. They gave black belts to retards (seriously, I don't mean stupid kids, I mean actual retards) because they felt sorry for them. I was a white belt and I used to spar with this 'tard named Joey and I always wiped the floor with him. Every time I'd throw a punch this so-called "black belt" would run away. One time I tripped him when he tried to run away and he started crying (he was 16). I quit and never looked back.

Fuck karate.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 21 Jun 2007 at 03:44 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    omghomo
    Buttsex is considered gay now?
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."