Spt Layzner is one of the best mech shows of all time. It's renound for being the darkest and most angsty tv series from the 80's. If you thought Gundam Zeta was depressing then wait untill you see this amazing show.

Bandai licensed Spt Layzner for US release in 2001. They had fully translated the show only to find out that their video masters were damaged. They requested replacements from Sunrise but they sadly denied them access to anything other material. Bandai quietly sat on the license before announcing it's expiration on 2005. They gave an official explanation to why a few months later in an interview. It's tragic to think that we could all comfortably be watching our Spt Layzner boxsets had things gone smoothly.

The video quality for the episode below is very good since it's taken from the very impressive remastered Japanese DVD set however the audio quality isn't of the same calibure and suffers due to poor encoding hence the hissy sound and low volume. Don't worry though, the audio on the official Japanese dvds is fine. I recommend cranking your speakers up when watching this file.

Download - Spt Layzner 01.avi (Click Here)

Unfortunately because i have only seen this episode i can't write my usual short review therefore i have posted the very well written Animeondvd review of the Japanese R2 boxset below:

Review of SPT Layzner Boxset 1

Trivia - The first season of Spt Layzner was very popular and enjoyed good ratings. However in the second season Spt Layzner's ratings suffered badly when competition from Gundam Zeta and a few other shows became to much for the ratings and they dropped significantly. Spt Layzner was supposed to run for 52 episodes but got cancelled early after 38. This left the series and it's fanbase with a very rushed ending and a infuriating cliffhanger. Three OVA's were later released in 1986, the first two recapped on the tv series while the third helped give Spt Layzner it's true deserved ending.

Stayed Tuned - More Rare 80's Anime Classics Coming Soon...