Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL's Top Ten Games of the Last Generation

1. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    He's a little stinky in person.
    Fixed it.

Seriously, though.

2. Awesome list Yoshi, things like this are the reason I stick around this place.

Oh, and good grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by kuro View Post
    Oh, and good grammar.
    Thanks. I am a stickler for it, despite being a math/stat major.

edit: Oh shit! I made a there/their typo. Fixed!
    Last edited by Yoshi; 13 Jun 2007 at 08:08 PM.

4. I pretty much agree with the list, but I can't agree with Metroid Prime over HL2.

My problem with MP, is all the back tracking. Much like Super Metroid, the game is great, but this one issue drops my appreciation of the title slightly. I'd still put it in the top 15 though.

Half-Life 2, on the other hand, came as a total surprise. I had played the PC demo, but it kind of studdered on my under-powered PC. I later picked up the Xbox version and was quite surprised with how well it turned out; even more, the gameplay just blew me away. Every level introduced something new or unique, be it a puzzle or a way of using a weapon. The feeling of isolation in both Metroid Prime and Super Metroid was pretty convincing, but it was even more so with this title.
    Last edited by gamevet; 13 Jun 2007 at 09:17 PM.

I'm surprised Ikaruga didn't make the top 25. Didn't it have one of the largest threads here, ever?

Other sad absences are Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (easily my favourite game of last generation), Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (but I guess most people didn't play this), and System Shock 2 (though given a choice between this and Deus Ex, I'd go with the latter any day)

Half-Life 2's presence is interesting. I found it to be an average FPS with astonishing art design (did you ever notice how light and shadow directly correspond to the danger in the area?) and unrealized potential (the gravity gun could have allowed for much more elaborate puzzles, and a few tweaks would have made combat with it fantastic).
    Last edited by bVork; 13 Jun 2007 at 08:21 PM.

6. Wow, metroid prime as the second best game of last gen, really?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    Wow, metroid prime as the second best game of last gen, really?
    revote time? ff12 should have been higher, its one of the standouts for me next to re4, mgs3, and sotc.
    b_ri on Twitch, Games Beaten in 2020 (3): Pokemon Sword (Sw), Detroit: Becoming Human (PS4), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4),

8. I bought Resident Evil 4 for a friend, partially so I could finally check out the game.

He hasn't been gaming since the SNES days, and didn't really have any expectations, but he ended up loving the game. I stayed over at his place and got the chance to mess around with it myself for a few hours and I am completely puzzled.

What's so great about it? Certainly it's not a bad game. It's a 3rd person shooter that feels like a 1st person shooter. Maybe it's the 3d shooting action game done right by the Japanese. But otherwise, it's nothing different from the dozens of other 3d action games already available from Western developers. I honestly do not understand why people are so enamored with it. It's just... well.. normal.

9. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    Other sad absences are Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (easily my favourite game of last generation), Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (but I guess most people didn't play this), and System Shock 2 (though given a choice between this and Deus Ex, I'd go with the latter any day)
    I don't consider System Shock 2 last gen. I consider it part of the PS/Saturn Gen.

Deus Ex and Deus Ex 2 are last gen.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

10. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I pretty much agree with the list, but I can't agree with Metroid Prime over HL2.

My problem with MP2, is all the back tracking. Much like Super Metroid, the game is great, but this one issue drops my appreciation of the title slightly. I'd still put it in the top 15 though.

Half-Life 2, on the other hand, came as a total surprise. I had played the PC demo, but it kind of studdered on my under-powered PC. I later picked up the Xbox version and was quite surprised with how well it turned out; even more, the gameplay just blew me away. Every level introduced something new or unique, be it a puzzle or a way of using a weapon. The feeling of isolation in both Metroid Prime and Super Metroid was pretty convincing, but it was even more so with this title.
    wait, first you say MP, then you talk about MP2......which is it?
    and lol @ and xbox being better than your pc