Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 245678 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL's Top Ten Games of the Last Generation

1. Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    wait, first you say MP, then you talk about MP2......which is it?
    and lol @ and xbox being better than your pc
    I better fix that.

My PC has a 2GHz Celeron processor, 1 gig of RAM and a PCI GeForce 5200 (256 MB). It runs Doom 3 at about 15-20 frames per second, during action scenes, and worked just fine for Star Wars: Galaxies. The demo of HL2 just had a couple of spots where you could see frames skipping, so I picked up the Xbox version( I was really surprised with how good it looked) for under $15.
    Last edited by gamevet; 13 Jun 2007 at 09:24 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    Panzer Dragoon Orta was good, but not great. Phantom Dust just blew me away in every aspect and I even grew to like the main characters' funky style.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
    What's so great about it? Certainly it's not a bad game. It's a 3rd person shooter that feels like a 1st person shooter. Maybe it's the 3d shooting action game done right by the Japanese. But otherwise, it's nothing different from the dozens of other 3d action games already available from Western developers. I honestly do not understand why people are so enamored with it. It's just... well.. normal.
    I still haven't finished it, so definitely have time to change my mind, but I felt the same. It was by far the least engaging of all the REs for me, just behind RE2 (never played Nemesis).

4. Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    I still haven't finished it, so definitely have time to change my mind, but I felt the same. It was by far the least engaging of all the REs for me, just behind RE2 (never played Nemesis).
    Sorry Compass, but I feel I must differentiate myself from you

While I don't care for what I've played of RE4, I thought that all the REs before it were completely wretched. Not only were they not scary, but they were not fun to play either. They were retarded wannabe action games with limited supply of weapons. You just point your character in a general direction and shoot.

At least RE4 fixed this aspect by incorporating precision into the picture - you actually have to aim your shots now, and headshots matter more than arm shots. That makes RE4 much more of a game than the other ones ever were. But now instead of a crappy game, it's a standard one.

Kinda off tangent but Fatal Frame is by far the best survival horror game out there. The creepiness lingers even after you turn off the game, and the game relies on precision, timing and technique to boot. That's an example of the genre done right.

5. I wish sega would stop being gay and bring over yakuza 2 over.

6. I played through Fatal Frame 2, and it was excellent. However, I have no desire to play the first or the third because by the end of 2, I was not scared because the gimmick of having ghost drifting in and out of the corner of the screen just got really irritating as opposed to scary. It is akin to having monster jumping out from a closet behind you in Doom (at least to me). So for the first half of the game, I was scared but got desensitized toward the end. Plus, your camera got really powerful so I knew I could take out anything anyway.

7. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    I played through Fatal Frame 2, and it was excellent.
    I personally thought 1 was the scariest, and had more of an action-y feel to the game. 2 is extremely sluggish in comparison with 1 or 3 - both in walking speed and the slooooooow paced fights. But they really did make the combat in 2 deeper by adding combos and incorporating the special lenses better. 1 was more about reaction time and accuracy, whereas 2 & 3 emphasized setting up strings of combos.

Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (but I guess most people didn't play this
    It's worth buying for sure but with so many great games, it didn't make the top pile for me.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
    What's so great about [Metroid Prime Series]? ... Maybe it's the 3d shooting action game done right by the Japanese. But otherwise, it's nothing different from the dozens of other 3d action games already available from Western developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    ... handing [Metroid Prime] off to a relatively unknown development house in Texas...
    On a different note, excellent post, Yoshi. Thanks!

10. Quote Originally Posted by RDM Brian View Post
    revote time? ff12 should have been higher, its one of the standouts for me next to re4, mgs3, and sotc.
    I think FFXII would be ranked much lower in a re-vote. Pretty much the only reason it's on there at all is because it was new at the time the poll was made. Most people seem to be pretty lukewarm on it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    My problem with MP2, is all the back tracking. Much like Super Metroid, the game is great, but this one issue drops my appreciation of the title slightly. I'd still put it in the top 15 though.
    Uh... Super Metroid is full of backtracking, too. All Metroids are.

I could have done without the artifact hunt at the end, granted.