Thread: 27" JVC or 24" Toshiba?

TheSCHLONG! Guest

27" JVC or 24" Toshiba?

i need a new tv. right now i have a 29" JVC with the regular audio/video jcks. i was looking in the best buy ad today and they have what appears to be a non-flat screen JVC with component in and a flat screen Toshiba with component in. the Toshiba is a bit out of my price range and im not a big movie buff (going to use this for normal tv viewing and game playing) so is there a BIG difference a flat screen makes?

Flat screen makes a difference ONLY in focusing in the corners and glare reductions. It's still 480-520 lines of resolution and it works on the same color scale. The only flat screen I have scene that makes and actual difference for movies, is the Sony Wega series since it has the 16:9 enhanced mode (essentially in squashes the lines of resolution down so that they aren't wasted on the black areas of a widescreen picture).

Otherwise, you should do just fine with the JVC providing it has component inputs and such.

3. HA..finally an answer. yeah for the longest time i had my eye on the 24" WEGA but because some things have come up my budget is considerably less. a buddy of mine has an S-video ready Trinatron and i didnt really notice much difference between the S-video and normal composite. have yet to see games on component....is it that much better?

well, I personally, notice the difference between s-video and composite and, as such, I see a great difference between component and composite (especially on DVD's but on games as well).

But then again, color and quality are all subjective things that some people notice and some people do. I observe it every day at my job.

But, most decent TV's, curved or flat have component inputs so use them. Most cable for any system can be had for between 10-25 bucks on ebay.

5. ...

I think with certain systems the difference is more noticeable between s-video and composite. Component is even better of course providing richer colors and really good picture clarity.

I notice w/systems such as Gamecube, PS2 and DC, that there is a big difference between s-video and composite--the best way to tell is to hook up the system one way and then immediately switch it to s-video--you'll notice a difference in color depth and the biggest annoyance--jaggies! They are almost completely removed when using s-video (and even moreso w/component), so images get a nice clean look to their edges. It is more noticeable w/3-d games, but 2-d games also become much clearer...

The PS2 looks really good using the monster S-Video cables...and older PS games look good as well. Some people complain because it brings out the pixelation more (especially on PS2) but I like that look as it is more remnicent of the arcade look...

As far as DVD--it's basically the same--the dot crawl on the edges and coloring is much worse w/composite--whereas w/ S-video (and even better w/component) the picture becomes clearer and colors are nice and thick (not that washed out look).
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

If you're looking at the 27" JVC D-Series, I have heard Johnny stand behind it time and time again. I can't really comment on it, because I have only seen it as a demo at Sears (using a crappy RF signal).

Regarding the anamorphic squeeze, 27" flatscreens and up are the only TV's that offer the feature, and I have heard that any size won't make a noticable difference. If you are willing to mess with the service menu's you can do it with practically any TV. I have done it with my 4- or 5-year old RCA 20" (curved tube), and I didn't see a differnce in video quality. This is probrably due to the composite video signal and small screen size.

I'll try to find the site that has the instructions on how to do it if anyone's interested, but I'm not guaranteeing anything since I found it through some HT site over 2 months ago.