Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed Goat

1. Speed Goat

Speed Goat is uppon us! First rough mix of my "band's" "album". The song is called Put it in the Back of Your Mind

http://www.fluffypotato.com/music/Sp...OfYourMind.wma

Lyrics and melody by my girl Beth. Arrangement and instrument parts and generic stuff like that by me.

Beth sings. I play everything else (everything else being drums, percussion, guitars, and bass).

Hopefully we will get a real drummer for the rest of our stuff, but I did the best I could.

Fun production notes!
    Due to being stupid, I bought the wrong gauge strings for my floating bridge guitar. For those of you not familliar with a floating bridge guitar (like me), that means big problems. I could only get it to tune up in drop B (B, E, A, D, Gflat, B). You can imagine the fun I had trying to play waaaaaaaay up on the high frets to get it to sound right.

The vocals were done with a nine-year old in the room, an ancient toy poodle, and a hyper jack russel puppy. The old-man dog really hates the puppy to make all that much more fun. You can just imagine slogging through those takes...

The only way I could get the ring out of the snare drum was to duct-tape a chewie toy to the top head. So...maybe it was good that there were dogs in the house!

I recorded/mixed/produced myself on my trusty Roland VS 2480 with a nice supply of SM57's and inexpensive Chinese condenser mics. Woo Hoo cheap technology!
    Last edited by Cheebs; 16 Jun 2007 at 04:56 AM.

2. I dig it, its good fun

I like your wifes voice. Reminds me of the Long Blondes.

3. oh, and the bass break is hot

4. Not bad. I was expecting metal with a name like Speed Goat, but the rock/ska sounds pretty good. It reminds me of mid-80's rock.
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill

5. Not bad, not bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

6. Quote Originally Posted by arjue View Post
    oh, and the bass break is hot
    Ah, thank you very much. I can't do weedleies and squeedleies on guitar to save my life, so a guitar solo didn't seem like a good idea. That section needed something, so I gave it a go on the ol' bass. My fingers weren't quick enough to play that so I enlisted the help of a guitar pick. It turned out that the tone change going from fingers to pick was exactly what that secion needed.

7. No one cares about you anyway.

8. Great decision, not what i expected at that point at all yet it fits the whole tone perfectly. Not just saying this because i'm bass biassed.

9. Regular rock music isn't really my thing, so I'll just critique the technical elelments of the music:

The drum kit on the whole sounds a bit dull; the snare drum in particular needs a lot more life to it (or then again, maybe you just weren't hitting it with a whole lot of force).

Guitar tone is ok, albeit a bit generic.

Bass sounds fine.

The vocals sound great in the softer sections; in the other sections though, they just doesn't quite fit with the rest of the music. Maybe you (meaning you, directly) could throw some graveled backing vocals in there to add a bit more bite to the vocals.
    Last edited by jyoung; 16 Jun 2007 at 09:20 PM.

This is fun shit. Get a drummer though, seriously. The drumline just needs more fun stuff going on. Everything else is awesome, I'd put this on my player and listen to it.

I love the tone of your girl's voice, full and low, not high and squeaky/whiny like a lot of singers. There are bands (Palomar, Mates of State) whose vocalists are in that obnoxious range that kind of keeps me from enjoying it the way I could.

Anyway speaking of Palomar, it's some fun stuff. Link up in the usual place. They are supposed to have a new album out but I don't know what happened, they cancelled the album release show.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 17 Jun 2007 at 11:33 PM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.