Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: El Hazard: The Magnificant World

1. El Hazard: The Magnificant World

This is by far one of my favorite anime series. A couple of months ago I got the DVD set and in the last week I bought the Laserdisc set. I'm the only one that I know that has a LD player. Yesterday I just realized how weird the series makes it characters. Don't read on unless you haven't seen the series and want to see it later on. **Spoiler**

Lord Galus likes little boys.
    Princess Fatora is a lesibian with a lesibian lover who chases lots of other girls.
    Ifurita is either a machine with human feelings or a cybord. Noneoftheless, Makato and her have a thing for each other.
    Makato is force to cross dress.
    Going to the john is freaky because you're in a hugh room with a bunch of people watching you.

2. i've been buying LDs since maybe the mid 90's (must have gone through 4 'upgrades') so you're not the only LD owner here. i simply love the 1st ovas to El Hazard (i own the LDs, waiting to buy the dvds) and still to this day think that the series is damn good compared to other stuff. and the things you mentioned about the series, i think, adds to the overall charm that the show has. they're weird, yes, but it adds character.

and i don't think Ifurita are either of the things you mentioned. she's as human as any of the other characters, but she's used as a weapon. i guess that she would seem less human because she's been in a deep sleep for such a long time, that she doesn't exactly know what to do.

i really got to say though, nice to have a fellow LD owner around (this place). i was beginning to think that i might have been the only one left.

3. LD talk.. finaly

i have been toying with the idea of getting a LD player and some Anime LD's, what would you guys recommend as far as a decent player and what movies to go after first?
    i have checked e-bay for players but it's hella confusing.

thanks!

4. Personally I have a LD player by Pioneer since they also published Tenchi and El Hazard LD's.

Ifurta is an odd person because not only did she live for over 10,000 and she has to be recharged by cranking the key. They were just my little theories, but I guess I'll never know.

5. i've owned nothing but pioneer players. i've rarely seen other companies make them. just get pioneer because they're really the onlu ones in the market, and they're going to stop producing players around the beginning of next year.

movie wise... there's nothing you can't already get on dvd. but what dvds don't have are inserts that come with some titles (like pioneer animes). i dunno... the first things that come to mind are either the bubblegum crisis lds or the green legend ran box set (one of the best $100 i've ever spent IMHO). or even the mihoshi special or pretty sammy lds. if you go for the ran box set, there's supposed to be a t-shirt that comes with it, but with the set being so old by now, it'll be impossible finding a box that has one.

but really, there's nothing you can't find on dvd by now except for a small few (like the iczers, fist of the northstar (dvd is oop), the fox totoro and kiki releases, and others i can't recall).

6. Well I just recently re-watched the show, along with El-Hazard 2 which I finally got around to watching for the first time. The original series will always have a special place in my heart as one of the shows that got me into anime (see my otaku-ized thread), and I dearly love it, but damn if the spinoffs don't suck. Just like with Tenchi.

Anyway, to the question of Ifurita's humanity, she is undoubtedly a piece of technology. Otherwise Makoto wouldn't be able to communicate with her. However this doesn't make her any less 'human' than the other characters. I consider her similar to Data from Star Trek: the Next Generation in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

7. Originally posted by LordPerrin
    Well I just recently re-watched the show, along with El-Hazard 2 which I finally got around to watching for the first time. The original series will always have a special place in my heart as one of the shows that got me into anime (see my otaku-ized thread), and I dearly love it, but damn if the spinoffs don't suck. Just like with Tenchi.
    You are officially crazy. Wanderers is better than El Hazard is a number of ways (more coherent plot, better characterization, more humor, no lame phantom tribe) and remains one of the few anime I can watch an infinite amount of times. El Hazard just collects dust.

Alternate World is not a spinoff. It's a continuation of the OAV series, but it does suck.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

8. Originally posted by Ammadeau

You are officially crazy. Wanderers is better than El Hazard is a number of ways (more coherent plot, better characterization, more humor, no lame phantom tribe) and remains one of the few anime I can watch an infinite amount of times. El Hazard just collects dust.

Alternate World is not a spinoff. It's a continuation of the OAV series, but it does suck.
    Actually I've never seen The Wanderers. I'll take your word that it's good, but it'd have to really be something else to replace the original series.

Glad you agree Alternative World is ass. EH2 is as well, I mean having the individual Demon Gods be mass-produced is just retarded and ruins whatever potential the story had.

9. Wanderers is great, but different in a number of ways from the original. I like it more because it's geared towards the things that I like more, mainly the humor, rather than the drama of the first. Has more time to develop so the story isn't as rushed either. Cheap too. 26 eps on 4 DVDs. Ending isn't as good, but it would be near impossible to top the ending of El Hazard.

There's also an El Hazard manga. I have the first volume but haven't read it yet. Looks to combine El Hazard and Wanderers.

Never saw EH2, it just looked terrible from the preview. And I only wish I hadn't seen Alternate World. What a complete waste of potential that was. -_-
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

10. Originally posted by Ammadeau
    Never saw EH2, it just looked terrible from the preview. And I only wish I hadn't seen Alternate World. What a complete waste of potential that was. -_-
    Trust me, then only thing that makes El Hazard 2 better than Alternative World is it's shorter. The only reason to own it is it's in the DVD set with the original series.