Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATTN Gundam freaks: opinions on Gundam 0083

1. ATTN Gundam freaks: opinions on Gundam 0083

All I've seen is Gundam Wing which I liked a lot, even though the plot, politics, and character motives were all over the map. I've been watching a few episodes here and there of Gundam 0083 on and off on Adult Swim and it seems really good so far. Just wanted to know what you Gundam fans think of it (no spoilers please) in comparison to the rest before I decide whether or not to get it on DVD and watch all the way through from the beginning and which of the different Gundam series is the best/worst, ect. I heard that Bebop's director/creator worked on 0083, is that true?

2. Well, I can't stand Gundam Wing or any of the AC timeline, but I thought that Gundam 0083 and Gundam 08th MS Team were the best Gundam series on Cartoon Network. (08th and 0083 are from the UC Timeline) I have all of 08th and 0083 as well as the original and 0080. 0083 was my favorite because of the story and mecha. It was really good. They get into space allot more than the rest of the series which took place more on Earth. I think you should get into it too.

3. Originally posted by Station
    Well, I can't stand Gundam Wing or any of the AC timeline, but I thought that Gundam 0083 and Gundam 08th MS Team were the best Gundam series on Cartoon Network. (08th and 0083 are from the UC Timeline) I have all of 08th and 0083 as well as the original and 0080. 0083 was my favorite because of the story and mecha. It was really good. They get into space allot more than the rest of the series which took place more on Earth. I think you should get into it too.
    Cool. Thanks, Station. Anyone else?

4. The show's ok, but the Toonami edits suck majorly.

At least it beats that fruity Pilot Candidate.

5. Originally posted by Freeter
    The show's ok, but the Toonami edits suck majorly.

At least it beats that fruity Pilot Candidate.
    I've never seen the Toonami edit, and yes, Pilot Candidate bites the big one.

6. Calling Pilot Candidate fruity insults fruit.

As a self professed Gundam-o-holic, I'll chime in with my opinions. 0083 was my first exposure to Gundam outside of Gundam Wing. I bought the tapes across a year while Animevillage.com (now defunct) was having some cool deals on them (like vol 1 and 2 for free with an order of $30 or something). I was amazed at the artwork and battles. After feasting on the UC storyline, I was hooked. I dug up all the history I could on the UC timeline and the factions and wars, and was entranced by the UC universe.

After watching 0079 and 0080, I'm a less impressed with 0083. Kou is, well, a weiner. He reminds me of Luke Skywalker when he whines about getting some power converters at Toshi Station. Except Kou is like that for most of the series. Nina just needs to be shot. Wishy-washy bitch is how I typically describe her. The whole love story really bites, in my opinion. It feels like Sunrise didn't think the story could survive on the battle alone (which is possible), and threw in a love story. Unfortunately, the love story is about as much fun to watch, and about as believable, as Amidala and Anakin in SW:ATOC.

As far as investment potential, I dunno. 0083 is pretty good, and probably looks better on DVD than my lowly VHS. Other than a little blood and cursing, I haven't seen much cut from the Adult Swim version, storywise. The cuts aren't killing the series, by any means. I'm glad I own the series, if only for the first 2 tapes, and the last two (eps 1-4 and 11-13). So take that as you will.

And yes, I believe the director of Bebob worked on this film, as did a lot of the big names on Bebo. More worked on Macross Plus though.

As to best series for Gundam...well, you have these choices now:
    0079 series (10 DVDs, dub only), 0079 Movies (3 DVDs, subs only), 08th Mobile Team (4 DVDs + 1 for Miller's Report, sub and dub), 0080 OVA (2 DVDs, dub and subs), 0083 OVA (4 DVDs, subs and dubs). 0080 is depressing, but very good. I haven't seen the 0079 movies yet, but I'll probably get the box set in a few months. 0079 hasn't aged well animation-wise, but the story is very good, and I love the classic mechs. 0079 and 08th alternate for my personal favorites, followed by 0080, then 0083. I'm sure Char's Counter Attack will overtake them all when it's released this fall though. (SAAAAAZAAAABIIIIII! Wonder why no one never made a Gundam "Whasssup" ripoff with Sazabi...)

Kosh, if you haven't started watching 0079 these last two weeks, try and start watching it as well. Like I said, the animation is getting long in the tooth, but this is the daddy of it all.

Never under any circumstance scrutinize the mastication orifice of a gratuitous herbivorous quadruped.

7. Originally posted by Wolffen
    Calling Pilot Candidate fruity insults fruit.

As a self professed Gundam-o-holic, I'll chime in with my opinions. 0083 was my first exposure to Gundam outside of Gundam Wing. I bought the tapes across a year while Animevillage.com (now defunct) was having some cool deals on them (like vol 1 and 2 for free with an order of $30 or something). I was amazed at the artwork and battles. After feasting on the UC storyline, I was hooked. I dug up all the history I could on the UC timeline and the factions and wars, and was entranced by the UC universe.

After watching 0079 and 0080, I'm a less impressed with 0083. Kou is, well, a weiner. He reminds me of Luke Skywalker when he whines about getting some power converters at Toshi Station. Except Kou is like that for most of the series. Nina just needs to be shot. Wishy-washy bitch is how I typically describe her. The whole love story really bites, in my opinion. It feels like Sunrise didn't think the story could survive on the battle alone (which is possible), and threw in a love story. Unfortunately, the love story is about as much fun to watch, and about as believable, as Amidala and Anakin in SW:ATOC.

As far as investment potential, I dunno. 0083 is pretty good, and probably looks better on DVD than my lowly VHS. Other than a little blood and cursing, I haven't seen much cut from the Adult Swim version, storywise. The cuts aren't killing the series, by any means. I'm glad I own the series, if only for the first 2 tapes, and the last two (eps 1-4 and 11-13). So take that as you will.

And yes, I believe the director of Bebob worked on this film, as did a lot of the big names on Bebo. More worked on Macross Plus though.

As to best series for Gundam...well, you have these choices now:
    0079 series (10 DVDs, dub only), 0079 Movies (3 DVDs, subs only), 08th Mobile Team (4 DVDs + 1 for Miller's Report, sub and dub), 0080 OVA (2 DVDs, dub and subs), 0083 OVA (4 DVDs, subs and dubs). 0080 is depressing, but very good. I haven't seen the 0079 movies yet, but I'll probably get the box set in a few months. 0079 hasn't aged well animation-wise, but the story is very good, and I love the classic mechs. 0079 and 08th alternate for my personal favorites, followed by 0080, then 0083. I'm sure Char's Counter Attack will overtake them all when it's released this fall though. (SAAAAAZAAAABIIIIII! Wonder why no one never made a Gundam "Whasssup" ripoff with Sazabi...)

Kosh, if you haven't started watching 0079 these last two weeks, try and start watching it as well. Like I said, the animation is getting long in the tooth, but this is the daddy of it all.

[
    You mentioned animation of 0079, but the picture you posted is from Gundam 08th MS Team, which isn't the same anime, but based during 0079.Are you trying to confuse the poor guy?

8. I haven't had time to make any screen caps of 0079 lately, so I threw something up there. I still need to do the screen caps on Bebop vol 4 and 5... Kosh, if you haven't seen 0079 yet, and want an "accurate" depiction of the art style, go to:
    http://www.toonamiarsenal.com/ and click on Downloads, then find Mobile Suit Gundam and watch the intros/commercials.

Never under any circumstance scrutinize the mastication orifice of a gratuitous herbivorous quadruped.

9. Of all of the UC series that I have seen, 0083 is definately the worst. First of all, the Albion was filled with the biggest morons in history, especially Kou and Nina. While I have always been a Zeon supporter, this is the first Gundam show where I wanted the main characters to die slow, horrible deaths.

As much as it sucked (comparatively), here are some good points:
    villans- Gato is one of the best villans in the Gundam universe
    battles- they were very well done
    opening- my favorite Gundam opening. It made me think something excelent was about to be shown

10. Originally posted by Atariguy
    Of all of the UC series that I have seen, 0083 is definately the worst. First of all, the Albion was filled with the biggest morons in history, especially Kou and Nina. While I have always been a Zeon supporter, this is the first Gundam show where I wanted the main characters to die slow, horrible deaths.

As much as it sucked (comparatively), here are some good points:
    villans- Gato is one of the best villans in the Gundam universe
    battles- they were very well done
    opening- my favorite Gundam opening. It made me think something excelent was about to be shown
    I doubt you've seen 0080 then.