Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is There a Sport More Stupid Than Drag Racing?

1. Is There a Sport More Stupid Than Drag Racing?

My girlfriend called me today and wanted to take me to some stupid big time drag racing event in the area. Not because she likes drag racing, I mean who does? It was because out of her 180 clients she couldn't find one who wanted the tickets and would feel bad wasting them. I considered breaking up with her on the spot.

So I ask, does anybody on TNL like this "sport" if so, why?

2. i would go just for the fuck of it

but good point in a bounceback thread. i concur.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

3. I'd go to the event for free, but that's about it.

Monster truck racing was once a crowd attraction, as was Top Fuel drag racing; now both are pretty much a joke.

4. At least this is over quickly. I'll never understand Nascar fans.

5. At least drag racing has cars.
    -Kyo

6. Oh Christ I forgot about that one.

I think in my personal hell Spo is mc'ing a Drag Race whilst they announce the curling all stars between races, all to the music of Celine Dion.

wait, what, they have a book on this sport?

7. It's HUGE in Canada. Because being completely wasted doesn't really affect your ability to sweep ice with a broom - and in fact is probably the only way to increase your enjoyment of it - middle aged people go curling on weekend afternoons and get plastered.

Big tournaments on TV draw audiences of 600,000 - 1 million. I've never met a single person who watches it (it's more of a small town thing than a Toronto thing) but there's incontrovertible evidence that they're out there. (Seriously - look at that picture, Bud's even sponsoring it).
    -Kyo

8. You should go to Florida - near the center of the state - where they like to do Swamp Buggy racing. It's basically like watching oversized beach paddle "cars" with the huge tires flinging up mud all over the place. All while getting wasted off Budwieser (and other man-made/natural chemicals) and helping the occasional driver get out of the mud. This sounds like a winner to me.
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill

9. I was going to say curling too. What about monster truck rallies? Is that a sport?

10. IMO:

A sport must have physical competition with at least one other human being, and offense and defense must both be involved.

So horse racing, NASCAR, hunting, skeet shooting, archery, bowling, golf, curling, diving, gymnastics and figure skating are not sports - they're games.

The "purest" sports are the ones where all participants play O and D: basketball, baseball (everyone knows the NL is better because there's no DH and the pitcher bats), football (international and American), etc.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010