Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Band

1. Fantasy Band

If you could have one band, outside of yourself, who would be in it? I am not nessessarily talking a super-jam band or anything like that, but if there was a group of people you could put together and get the creative juices flowing, who do you think could have really turned into something classic?

Would it be a power trio, something bigger/even smaller? Who would be on what instruments and why? For the sake of this thread we can assume that they would not break up immediately if there are known differences between members.

For my dream band:

Vocals - Freddie Mecury
    Lead Guitar - Mic Ronson
    Rythm Guitar - Andy Summers
    Bass - John Deacon
    Keyboard/Vocals - David Bowie
    Drums - Steward Copeland!

Basically this group is a mish mash of Police, Queen, with some Bowie goodness for good measure (not suprising from me).

I took out sting to maintain that great edge The police had in thier first two albums, it really sounded like a hard hitting trio rather than a pop singer, and that was something for the ages. Going further with those two, I think the creative way that summers uses strange chords while maintaining pop sensibility makes otherwise straightforward generes (like punk) more surpising. Steward just has that great ability to keep the flow going and fits in any band that would need him imo.

Plus, between Bowie, Mecury, and Deacon you have an extremely solid songwriting core and Sting is not really needed.

I'm sad to lose Both Brian May and Roger Taylor (Guitarist and Drummer of Queen), as they have phenominal song composition abilities and amazing voices, especially when blending with mecury. Without Roger Taylor, you lose out on the extremely high notes, and the vocal harmonies go down a step. Brian May's guitar is too distinct, and does not work with the sound I was thinking of

I think Bowie era Glam rock was the sound i was shooting for, and believe it or not, that is more attributable to Ronson's guitar work than Bowie, so he was nessessary in the band. In fact, if I was not to use him, I probably would have used Jack White, since the sound is not that far off (although White's is a bit overwhelming for a band like this).

Mecury took vocals instead of Bowie, because beyond his obvious range advantage, he seems more versitile, even with a certain sound for the band (Glam) he could adapt multiple singing styles that would all work. Plus I am really curious to see what he would do in the Bowie sounding Ziggy glam style.

Bowie is just the best thing to happen to rock music.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

Vocals: Joey Ramone
    Guitar: Johnny Ramone
    Bass: Dee Dee Ramone
    Drums: Marky Ramone

I don't feel like I need to do any explaining.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

Hey I think most of those guys were in the same band IRL.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

I must have missed it.

5. Vocals: Ian Curtis
    Guitar: Darrell Abbott
    Bass: Cliff Burton
    Drums: A Roland drum machine.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

What would you call the band?
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

7. The Sex Pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    The Sex Pistols.
    Ha!

This thread delivers.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Vocals: Ian Curtis
    Guitar: Darrell Abbott
    Bass: Cliff Burton
    Drums: A Roland drum machine.
    R.I.P.

Singing: Maynard James Keenan
    Screaming: Jens Kiddman
    Lead: Frederik Thordendal
    Rhythm: Willy Adler
    Bass: Ryan Martini
    Drums: Thomas Haake
    Keys: Dave Young

I figure with this lineup, there could be a great amalgamation of metal, jazz, and atmospheric shit. I'd also love to get Victor Wooten in there on some bass solos and Mats Morgan on some drums.

10. Bjork

+

Neurosis

It'd be ill.
    Boo, Hiss.