Thread: City Hunter

1. City Hunter

Recently been checking out City hunter, having started with the movie (which I would recommend, gives you a really good feel for whether or not you'll like the series.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The franchise primarily follows the exploits of Ryo Saeba, who works as a "sweeper" (He "sweeps" crime off the streets) and is one half of the City Hunter team. The other half is young Kaori Makimura, a tomboyish girl who deals primarily with business side of the company. The City Hunter is a covert, independent group who can be hired for missions like bodyguarding and private investigation. They primarily take on jobs involving pretty women, who get the firm's attention by writing the letters XYZ on a blackboard at Shinjuku Station (in Tokyo, Japan).
    Basically following Ryo around, the majority of the humor comes from the fact he is incredibly perverted, think of him as Edgar from FFVI except not actually good at it.

It's an older series so some of the animation isn't very good (The fight scenes generally are incredibly predictable and not to interesting). The whole series is actually kind of predictable, but the script and the characters are all actually very interesting and it's very fun to watch.

Anyone else a fan?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city%20001.jpg 
Views:	4450 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	25094  

2. City Hunter is quite good although not the best series to blend action with comedy from the 80's. I would personally give Dirty Pair that TV award. The problem with City Hunter is the first season is very good but the later episodes get quite repeitive, quite quickly. As you say, at least the characterisation is quite strong especially at the beginning of the series.

I recommend fans pick up the City Hunter Collection 1 which you can get for around $10 used at Amazon and that contains approximately 26 episodes.

3. Ooh that would defintely be worth picking up.

But yeah I can see how the series would get repetitive. I mean each episode follows the same formulatic crap which can definitely be very boring.

And if some of the characters weren't as interesting and some of the episodes which are just kinda like wtf awesome The first episode with Umiboza trying to kill the one actress along with Ryo trying to protect her is one of my favorites.