Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Anybody Here "See" Sound/Music?

1. Synaesthesia is characterized by senses cross-activating one another. A synaesthesiac might see blotches of red when hearing a warm tone, but probably not something as precise as visualized measures.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 11 Jul 2007 at 07:32 PM.

2. I visualise everything i hear and like josh, i make music by picturing it then working off that.

Actually, I pretty much visualise and hear everything my other senses take in.

3. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    I learned about this from LSD - that was years before Rez for me.

Also: I play music that's so different from what you normally hear I imagine I have to be thinking about it differently than most...
    I just wanted to clarify that I'm not talking about the sludge band I sing in - I'm talking about my solo thing DNEH
    Boo, Hiss.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I totally understand what you're saying btw... makes sense. I've never really tried applying this visual weirdness to a mix, since I don't really mix things (outside of live sound) very often.

Perhaps I should.
    Thats what people with perfect pitch describe. Not so much the song writing, but the note visualizing. They say in some way they perceive the correct notes visually more than they even hear it.

I am far more simple, I generally in moments of overtiredness (usually walking around work) find myself humming something absolutely catchy and bizzare and then its a race for me to get to a place where I can whip out a keyboard, set it to piano and record my little sketch. I've lost way too many melodies this way, but I'm horrible at remembering those moments or the melody. Very rarely do I keep it in my head for more than an hour.

From there I just take the song where I want it to go. 90 percent of this shit is instrumental mind you, though lyrically I have the same type of inspiration. It just pops in my head and I have to write it down. A lot easier to get to a note pad than it is to get home to my keyboard though.
    Last edited by youandwhosearmy; 11 Jul 2007 at 11:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Oldham
    Sing a song of Madeleine-Mary
    A tune that all can carry
    Burly says if we don't sing
    Then we won't have anything...

5. Meh, perfect pitch always seemed like something that could be learned when young to me, like a language. Its more common in cultures with more musical forms of speech, where distinguishing notes is more important. Both my sisters have it, I probably do too.

But I never visualize music. Thats seems really cool, I kinda wish I could see what you guys are meaning when you talk about composing songs in this way, but I guess I'll have to keep beating myself up until I understand it. Outside of catchy melodies, I don't really have too much.

I have a terrible time seeing the big picture without chords. (although how far the next chords are planned in my subconscious is beyond me, I suprise myself alot). They say alot of your sudden thoughts are really though out for a long time before hand, just not in your conscious. I would imagine you guys are just more talented at tapping into that.

Anyhow, keep the songwriting discussion goin.

Edit: Actually I have a few questions, how do you know when you have a good melody on your hand to fit the music? Beyond the catchy stuff, which is fairly easy to notice? Do you ever have a chord then choose a melody over it?

Holy shit now that you mother fuckers talked about it I have started seeing melodys. Amazing.
    Last edited by Anthony; 12 Jul 2007 at 03:42 AM.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

6. The truly great riffs are the ones that you can play over and over for hours (and days) on end and never wear out.

That said, as with other forms of creative writing, one of the best things you can do to determine the lasting worth of your own creations is to put them out of your mind for a day or two and then come back to reexamine them; if after that time they still retains their original allure, chances are good that they're truly golden and not just glittery.

7. Yeah I have definitely heard things along the same lines of that, I often produce so much music in any given day its hard to go back over it, you always want to make more you know? Thanks for the input though, retrospectively, I don't want to turn this into a help Destin write songs thread, so I'll make a new one.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life