View Poll Results: Should we disable Gamer Tags and other linked images in signatures?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree that they are a nuisance and they slow down the site. Go right ahead.

22 39.29%
  • No way! We are a gaming community and the Tags/images should DEFINITELY stay.

11 19.64%
  • I like it the way it is, but I won't mind the change if you feel it's best.

17 30.36%
  • I honestly don't care either way. I don't pay attention to signatures all that much.

6 10.71%
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Getting Rid of Gamertags and Linked Images in Signatures

1. Perhaps a proper compromise would be to make everyone use the smaller, stripped-down gamertags?

2. Is it possible to make gamertags out of the Leaderboard script on TNL?
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. I always thought they were nice. Gave you some idea of what people are playing.
    Time for a change

4. Terrible, terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

5. For what it's worth, the people asking for the heave ho, aside from 1 I believe, don't have a gamertag.

How will you enforce this? Card people for omg gaming related signatures?

6. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    Maybe you people should be more creative with your sig...?
    The Devil Speaks Through Me.

8=/==D ~ ~ ~
    ..I agree.

7. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    I have signatures disabled so I don't give a crap
    Same. But if linked images and gamertags were disabled, I may actually turn sigs back on. :P

8. Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Same. But if linked images and gamertags were disabled, I may actually turn sigs back on. :P
    Why? I'd rather see gamertags than half the crap some people have on here, like Icarus, or Aurora.

9. Personally, I think sigs are dumb and should just be abolished altogether. Avatars are more than sufficient visual cues to identify posters. That's the one thing NeoGAF gets right.

If they stay, though, maybe allow people to use the short, minimalistic type of gamertag like I'm using. Those shouldn't make the page skip much when loading.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 12 Jul 2007 at 09:20 AM.

10. I don't think Chux understands the proposal. First off, it's not the size of the Gamer Tags that's an issue. The problem is that they almost always load much more slowly than any other visual element on the page, causing the page to jump in many cases after you've already scrolled down and are in the middle of reading something.

Secondly, this applies not only to Gamer Tags, but to any image linked from another site.

Thirdly, the way we will enforce the no Tag rule is simplicity itself: all signature images will have to be uploaded, just like all avatars are uploaded. You can upload your Gamer Tag to the TNL server, but it will remain as it was until you manually update it. That is, it will lose its functionality because it will be a static image on our server instead of being a dynamically generated image that is updated every time you refresh the page.

If you still want to see someone's Gamer Tag, go to the leaderboard and hover your cursor over his Gamer Picture, or just look at the information as it is laid out on the page. The leaderboard has the added advantage of being easily sortable. Just click the column headers.