Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuild of Evangelion

1. That's nice.

The animation should be all-new even though a number of scenes appear to be exact recreations. They're using a bunch of CG this time around too, for however that'll end up looking.

2. Now with higher-quality, actually-watchable versions in the first post.

3. And yet another trailer back in the first. Utada makes me all swoon and shit.

4. Id like it better if Shinji didnt end up unlearning how to be a man and turn into a little sniveling punk again. Watching Eva gives me the same anger I get when I watch reality TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I hear Balrog's moveset includes the Fried Chicken Right Cross, The Watermelon Wipeout Punch, and the Welfare Blaster.
    I SWEAR IF YOU BITCH ABOUT TWINSTICKS I WILL BREAK MY FOOT OFF IN YOUR ASS

5. So, the subs are out. I was pretty excited and watched it right away.

Pros:

The clearly dated animation of the 1995 show has obviously been updated and widescreened. Lots of shots are reused from the tv show, but there's enough new material that you don't feel it's a waste of time. The battle with Ramiel (diamond shaped angel) is completely redone and made both more realistic and several times more intense. The extra detail put into backgrounds of some scenes adds a lot to the setting also. I didn't mind the added CG at all.

The Evas and Angels make fucking terrifying roars and screams. Both of them sound more alive then they ever did in the tv show. When Unit 01 is stabbing Sachiel's core with it's own rib it's making some freaky sounds. Eeek!

Wayyyyy more blood/gore. Hell yes!

also: nipples

I think condensing the first 6 episodes has made some very positive changes. Shinji is the same. Don't expect anything different there, but the pace that everything happens in the show makes his world seem far more harsh than the tv show. Happy fun time hijinks is almost totally eliminated. The Hedgehog's Dilemma episode is shortened and made less akward. It still gets the point across, but you miss out on some character interaction between Kensuke and Shinji. It should go without saying, but panning over still backgrounds isn't a problem in this version. The condensing does create some problems, though.

Cons:

The scene where Penpen is introduced is exactly the same. I don't have a problem with it in the context of the tv show, but it seems somewhat weird here. If it would have been changed it might have pissed off fans. Tough call.

Some of my favorite scenes are missing. Both "the Eva is alive" scenes from the first two episodes are gone. No protecting Shinji and no eyeball scene.

Music- Many of the tracks are so similar to the original, but seem to lack body. It's like the music is very close to the original, but just far enough off to bother you sometimes. If you've been a fan of the tv show you'll find yourself kinda wondering what they were thinking with some of the choices. Silence is used in the "Wow, it's a real geofront!" scene perhaps thinking the track would have more impact only being used in the scene where the buildings rise. I'm going to have to re-watch it and see if my opinion changes.

I almost forgot about the product placement. It wasn't as bad as I imagined it being. I remember quite the uproar about OMGZ EVERYONES EATING DORITOS AND PIZZA HUT!!!! It's there, but it probably only sticks out because they are both American products with english names and logos. I don't care for this practice, but I don't feel like it hurt the film.

I've always been a huge fan of the original tv show. The whole time I was watching this I was wondering how it would hold up if this movie was seen first. I can't really say because obviously these characters already exist in my mind so any shortcomings in character development were hard to notice. There are some significant plot changes. If it weren't for those I'd say you could almost watch this in place of the tv's first 6 episodes and still follow the series. However, the trailer at the end for the second movie looks looks to be totally different from the tv show. I'm really looking forward to see what else they do with this project.

If you get the fansub make sure to force the aspect ratio to 16:9. For some reason the rip is 3:4...
    Last edited by perkyskirt; 28 Apr 2008 at 12:28 PM.

6. Sounds rad. I'll be all over this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. Quote Originally Posted by perkyskirt View Post
    I almost forgot about the product placement. It wasn't as bad as I imagined it being. I remember quite the uproar about OMGZ EVERYONES EATING DORITOS AND PIZZA HUT!!!! It's there, but it probably only sticks out because they are both American products with english names and logos. I don't care for this practice, but I don't feel like it hurt the film.
    Didn't the original show have product placement for Japanese brands? Beer or somesuch.

8. Wait, how much of it is out?

9. I think just part one. A certain bay of pirates has a 1.4 gig rip of it with subtitles. Gonna have to wait until after work to see it though.
    Last edited by George; 28 Apr 2008 at 11:10 AM.

10. UGH. Need to start the torrent, but working at a further office than usual.