Page 1 of 38 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Killzone 2 (PS3)

1. Killzone 2 (PS3)

After the outright lies of E3 2005, it was going to be real hard to save face with Killzone 2. Finally, at this year's E3, more than two years later, we got to see Killzone 2 running in real-time on PS3--and it looks phenomenal.

There are definitely shortcomings in the real-time stuff compared to the CG trailer of E3 '05, but I'm surprised at how close Guerrilla got to the target rendering. I'd even say the art direction in the real-time stuff is better than the old CG trailer. If you haven't seen it yet, the real-time E3 2007 trailer is here. A gameplay clip can be seen here.

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

I'm hoping the game won't be just graphics, with good faith that it'll be a solid game. I enjoyed the first Killzone quite a bit despite its faults, and judging by the PS3 trailer it looks like the major complaints against Killzone (framerate and LOD issues) are not an issue.
    Last edited by MarkRyan; 15 Jul 2007 at 05:26 AM.

2. red x's

3. Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    red x's
    Ah damn, I think the IGN servers are set to no hotlinking temporarily (usually is done for E3 since bandwidth usage is so high across the site).

Looks GREAT!

5. Looks cool, but I dont think it looks any better than Call of Duty 4. COD4 actually looked more fun. Either way, this and MGS4 would be the 2 games for me to get a PS3.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

The first game was good. It was just overhyped to be the PS2's Halo. I don't expect Killzone 2 to be among the very best in the genre or really do anything new but it still looks impressive.

7. The art direction is quite good despite the grayness. I'm not that impressed with the tech really. The shadowing seems not very good and well behind even mediocre-looking games like Stalker.

I'll be interested to see how it shapes up. I think FEAR and it's upcoming sequel up the ante for the style Killzone is going for, and they'll need to work on the AI.

I think it'll be good, but the bar is being raised in 2007 to an extent I can hardly believe and I'm not sure the like of Killzone will be able to leap over it.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    The art direction is quite good despite the grayness. I'm not that impressed with the tech really. The shadowing seems not very good and well behind even mediocre-looking games like Stalker.

I'll be interested to see how it shapes up. I think FEAR and it's upcoming sequel up the ante for the style Killzone is going for, and they'll need to work on the AI.

I think it'll be good, but the bar is being raised in 2007 to an extent I can hardly believe and I'm not sure the like of Killzone will be able to leap over it.
    I kinda just read into that as nitpicking. Everything else looks awesome, and the game impresses, the only shadowing ive seen has been just that screenshot, and i doubt in motion seeing a shadow real quick like that is really going to make you drop the controller and stop playing.

Its visually impressive, but it does infact need to hit some new gameplay standards that are getting upped each day. I was suprised there was a cover system, that needs to be in all shooters.
    b_ri on Twitch, Games Beaten in 2020 (3): Pokemon Sword (Sw), Detroit: Becoming Human (PS4), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4),

9. Quote Originally Posted by RDM Brian View Post
    I kinda just read into that as nitpicking. Everything else looks awesome, and the game impresses, the only shadowing ive seen has been just that screenshot, and i doubt in motion seeing a shadow real quick like that is really going to make you drop the controller and stop playing.
    You can see it plain as day in the trailer, and I find it very jarring. No self-shadowing either, which is standard in most high end games this generation.

It does look good, but more on a account of the nice art assets than the tech.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    The art direction is quite good despite the grayness. I'm not that impressed with the tech really. The shadowing seems not very good and well behind even mediocre-looking games like Stalker.
    I agree, and because of all the cock waving Sony did when the PS3 was initially released the pressure put on Guerrilla to make this that game was ridiculous and it was never going to happen. Take a look at the ugly ass barbwire textures in the gameplay footage demo. Also the smoke from the initial concept was pure bullshit too. All I really remembered for awhile was the amazing smoke wall from an explosion in the 2005 Killzone 2 "footage". There's nothing much like that in the released stuff.

Ridiculously intuitive and fun AI is the only way I can think that they're going to really wow people at this point. But in the gameplay footage Mark Ryan linked to the enemies are literally just standing there while they're facing enemy fire from the player who's standing right beside them. That's disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."