Thread: Best of British Horror?

1. Best of British Horror?

I watched 'Quatermass and the Pit' (1967) last night, and was wondering if anybody know anything about the golden age of british horror movies? I'm thinking stuff from before 1980, any recommendations?

Edit. I did a little research and it seems I'm looking for movies made by 'Hammer Film Productions'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_Film_Productions
    Last edited by dakidski; 30 Jul 2007 at 03:27 PM.
    nocturne:
    "I view terrorists as freedom fighters."

2. Hammer made a lot of great films in the late 50's, 60's, and early 70's, and a lot of them are out on DVD now. Of special note were their Dracula movies starring Christopher Lee (such as Taste the Blood of Dracula) and their Frankenstein movies starring Peter Cushing (such as Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell).

Another great flick Hammer made was called The Vampire Lovers, which is also out on DVD (double-billed with Countess Dracula). It's a cool lezbo-vampire flim.

Hands of the Ripper was amazing, but really hard to find. It's not out on DVD- I've only seen it on TV. It's about the daughter of Jack the Ripper who gets possessed at times by her naughty father. Hopefully it gets a DVD soon.

Hammer also made Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires, which is fucking awesome. They combined a Dracula movie with a Shaw Brothers Kung Fu flick. That's out on DVD too.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 31 Jul 2007 at 10:24 AM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

Dead Alive

JBNagis

4. Is from New Zealand dumbass.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

5. Thanks Dolemite, I'm hooked on Hammer now. 'Horror of Dracula' is one of the best adoptions of the novel.
    edit. The first 2 Quatermass movies from the 50's, weren't as good the 3rd from 1967.
    Last edited by dakidski; 31 Jul 2007 at 09:43 AM.
    nocturne:
    "I view terrorists as freedom fighters."

6. Horror of Dracula was great.

I've never seen any of the Quartermass movies, but I've always wanted to.

I discovered Hammer years ago...I was doing something in my room- cleaning, packing/unpacking things, I don't remember what- and AMC had an all-day Hammer marathon going that I watched all while I was working. I was hooked from then on.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww