Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headphone recommendations needed

1. Headphone recommendations needed

I'm looking to pick up a new pair of headphones. Unfortunately, I'm kind of picky and have some issues. Primarily I want the studio/monitor-style type that cover the entire ear comfortably. Noise cancellation is a definite no-no (I get insane headaches from that shit) so I want the large style to muffle noise out so I don't need to crank the volume up to compensate.

No earbuds or in-ear headphones. Absolutely not. I'm yet to find a single pair that don't make my ears throb in pain no matter how I put them in. I've tried all the iPod attachment/replacement heads and a dozen other slim styles and they all make my outer ear pound. Don't bother suggesting any. I'm sure the sound quality is fantastic but they do not work for me.

I'd prefer something that isn't ugly, but I'm not going for just looks. I love how the Skullcandy Ti headphones look but I haven't heard anything fantastic about their quality. If someone can confirm them not being trash, I might just eBay those.

Also, I am a tad hard of hearing for bass tones, it seems. Any pair particularly strong in this field would be a bonus.

I'm looking for nothing over $60 is possible. And before anyone suggests the Sony MDR-V150 $20 pair I hear so many wonderful things about, I've had two pairs break on the same little piece of plastic in a row. I am not buying Sony anymore unless I get a lot of honest feedback.

Thanks.

2. I was about to mention those Sony's. I think Sony makes some great headphones, you just gotta pay to get the ones that don't turn into powder after 3 months.

3. I picked these up when they went on sale for about $75 back around Christmas time and they have been a god-send; looks like they are about $79 right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-...5858549&sr=8-2

That might be a bit of overkill for you since you don't have any needs as a musician, but these things have really brought to life a lot of details that I never noticed before in my CD collection.

4. Any Sennheissers would be good really. I have a pair of HD497s that are awesome, and they are much easier to wear out than that gigantic set there. I don't think they make the 497s anymore but they have others in a similar style.

5. Head-fi.org. But I was going to suggest the HD-280 Pros like Weeman. It might be a little hard finding a new pair for under $60, but it should be pretty easy to get a used pair from head-fi for about that including shipping. They are closed headphones so they will block out outside sounds. Also, most circumaural "big" headphones are open so they allow sound in/out.

Oh also, if you do want a pair of Sennheiser HD-497s, I have a gently used pair that's been sitting around in my room at home for a while. They are supraaural (sit on your ear instead of surrounding it) and thus do not isolate, but I would probably sell them pretty cheap.
    Last edited by mannerbot; 31 Jul 2007 at 01:51 AM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    Any Sennheissers would be good really. I have a pair of HD497s that are awesome, and they are much easier to wear out than that gigantic set there. I don't think they make the 497s anymore but they have others in a similar style.
    I picked up the 497's a couple years ago and they've been amazing. They squeeze a little too tight against the sides of my head but that's a minor price to pay for that sound quality.

7. Oh yeah, I just remembered, my buddy's been trying to sell his AKG K26Ps. They are basically brand new (sitting around his room for about a year), don't know if he has the box though. But while really tiny (you'll see what I mean if you see them irl, they're cute little shits) and supraaural, they are closed. He'd probably do like $25 shipped.

Here they are: http://www.headphone.com/products/he...akg-k-26-p.php

They are what Diff decided on and was happy with in the last big headphone thread, if that convinces you any.

8. Quote Originally Posted by mannerbot View Post
    Oh yeah, I just remembered, my buddy's been trying to sell his AKG K26Ps. They are basically brand new (sitting around his room for about a year), don't know if he has the box though. But while really tiny (you'll see what I mean if you see them irl, they're cute little shits) and supraaural, they are closed. He'd probably do like $25 shipped.
    Yo, if he wants 25 bucks for those shipped, I'll take em.

9. Alright man, PM coming your way.

10. Right back at cha.