Thread: Typos in Books

Typos in Books

The lastest book I've purchased is the softback printing for End Of Watch, and overall it's a great book. There's many pictures I haven't seen before and most of the stories for officers from the early 19th Century have significant detail.

I've also come across a few errors like the wrong century is given for a date, and others:
    Quote Originally Posted by page 39
    This provision came on the heals of the growing waves of immigrants that by 1850 were changing life in Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by page 141
    The patrolman was transported to the Cook County Hospital where he regained conscious but could not explain his injury.
    Now I can understand that some books are deliberately written informally; Kings is a book that I own which is rife with errors and formatting inconsistencies fully throughout.

Despite having that in mind, it tends to annoy me more often than anything else that a book which has been through years of writing and editing can still end up on the shelf with visible problems.

How often do you come across errors in the books you read?

I always find 1-10 errors in books I read. I circle them. It's fun.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

3. As someone who has experience editing large chunks of text for grammar/syntax, I can understand when a few errors get overlooked in 200 + pages of text.

What I don't understand is when errors occur in text-light stuff like billboards, magazines, newspapers, etc.

Or when an English-speaking band makes an album with amazingly detailed cover art, but overlooks an egregious error in subject/verb agreement:

4. You picked a bad example for that one, since it makes sense poetically which I believe is what they were going for.

5. I think you give the band more credit than they deserve.

Since the syntax is inverted, they probably didn't realize that "shadows" isn't the subject of the sentence, which if it were, would makes "lie" the appropriate verb form for subject/verb agreement.

The thing is, even with the inverted syntax, "shadows" is just a part of the prepositional phrase that begins with "behind," and regardless of how you mess with the syntax of that sentence, the subject is always going to be "madness," which calls for "lies," the plural verb form.

lol there's a typo in the xbox360 info text on Pan's Labyrinth: "riding" instead of "ridding"
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

7. I just picked up the 2004 re-release of The DragonBone Chair by Tad Williams.
    Before the book proper even begins, there is a section entitled Author's Warning.
    The first line reads, "Wanderers in the land of Osten Are are cautioned..."
    The name of the land is supposed to be Osten Ard.
    Great way to start a book.

I see their/they're mistakes and other dumb shit like that all time also. I circle them.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

9. You already told us how you spend your time.