Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Rum Diary

1. The Rum Diary

After a really long time in gestation, with names like Benicio Del Toro to direct, Nick Nolte and Josh Hartnett, this is finally getting made, with a really important part: Johnny Depp.

From http://movies.msn.com/movies/hitlist/07-31-07_3

Based on his recent choices, the argument could be made that (after filming the back-to-back "Pirates of the Caribbean" sequels) Johnny Depp is making some very uncommercial movies. He recently finished playing the title character in the movie adaptation of the musical "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" (not a guaranteed money-maker by any stretch of the imagination) and is about to begin production on Mira Nair's "Shantaram," a movie about an Australian drug addict who resumes his criminal career after escaping to India. Now Variety reports Depp is planning to star in the movie version of Hunter S. Thompson's novel "The Rum Diary." Thompson is familiar territory for Depp, as he previously starred as the famed author in 1998's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." "Diary" will find Depp playing Paul Kemp (a pseudonym for Thompson), a freelance journalist who writes for a rundown Puerto Rican newspaper in the 1950s and is surrounded by numerous lost souls bent on destruction. Thompson wrote the autobiographical novel in 1959, but it wasn't published until 1998. Intriguingly, the Warner Independent production will mark the directorial debut of Bruce Robinson, who is best known for writing the screenplays for "The Killing Fields" and "How to Get Ahead in Advertising."
    This should be great. I haven't actually READ the book, but I loved Depp's performance of Thompson in Fear and Loathing.
    Last edited by BerringerX; 31 Jul 2007 at 04:33 PM.
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

2. It's about fucking time this movie gets put into production. And thank god Depp signed onto the project.

PS. Read the book!
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

3. How have you not read the book yet?!? It's like four pages! The book inspired me to go to PR. It's awesome there. They eat lots of bananas and drive like shit.

I will believe this movie is actually being made when the film rolls.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. Hell yeah! This book will translate to a movie very well. I'm glad this is starting to move along.

5. Oct. 28th, supposedly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rumdiary_112861.jpg 
Views:	533 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	62709  
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

6. Best news ever! This has been in the making way too long, it's really awesome to see it finally being released.
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

7. Cool...
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

8. I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

9. Anyone seeing this? I read the book back in April and thoroughly enjoyed it.

10. I am seeing this next weekend with my girlfriend after I meet her family. She doesn't want me drinking before I meet them so she says we'll sneak flasks with rum in to the movie and get shit faced during and after. Good deal! I wanted to see it anyway so I would have went regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."