Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zombies: Fact or Fiction

1. Its a guarantee if we ever tell little kids the REAL truth about santa claus, it'll traumatize the poor bastards for life.

2. Isn't Santa coming from St-Nicholas?

Johnny Guest
    When the hell is Romero going to get to work on Twilight of The Dead? the NoTLD remake was excellent, and very low budget. Someone needs to throw him a few million, and finish the series. I was hoping that RE would spark some new Zombie films, but there's been no word on any. Braiiins..

4. Originally posted by Megidoth
    Isn't Santa coming from St-Nicholas?
    No. Saint Nicholas is the Catholic mutilation of a traditional Russian folk story, as well as a Roman holiday.

To make it acceptable for the chruch to celebrate Christmas, which was originally a pagan Roman holiday, the Catholic hierarchy decided to "create" a saint to facilitate the swaping of gifts and a joyful season.

Christmas was originally celebrated in June, as the church figured Christ was born in the Summer because shepherds were tending their sheep in the field, which isn't a Winter activity. But members of the church were still celebrating the Apollos festeval, wherein people exchanged gifts and lit candles for the sun god. The Catholic hierarchy couldn't get the people to stop celebrating the holiday, so they up and moved Christ's birthday to coenside with the Apollos festeval, which happened to fall on Dec. 25, according to the Roman callendar.

The Christmas Tree came from a Druidic practice. And there are a few German conventions thrown in as well.

Any more questions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

I think you should check out the Wes Craven (don't let that scare you from it) classic "The Serpent and the Rainbow." Some of it is a bit farfetched and fantasy-like, but the other half offers an interesting look on the Haitian practices of zombification. It's based on a true story (heh, somewhat.)

6. So where did Festivus orignate?