Page 1 of 23 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: The Game Boy Era Is Over

1. The Game Boy Era Is Over

"This year in our marketing you really won't see much push against Game Boy itself," Harrison told GameDaily in an interview. "It's hard to say in the future if we will ever bring back the Game Boy trademark."

"It was a big risk for us to actually pass on it and call the new product the Nintendo DS, but it was part of Mr. Iwata's philosophy that if we're going to make a radical difference and try to reach a new audience, then we have to change the name," he added implying that the "third pillar" strategy was merely used as a marketing backup in case the DS didn't catch on which it obviously has. "We had to make a break even though we had one of the greatest trademarks in the history of the industry."

The news comes as Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed to Kotaku that Nintendo has stopped producing GBA games in favor of complete development for Wii and DS titles. Only third-party game makers continue to support the once-popular handheld line.

The Game Boy brand is the most dominant handheld of all time. To date, all variations (including the original Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance) have sold a reported 200 million units worldwide.
    Source.

Pretty sad to see it go, but it was a lot of fun for having been around for nearly 2 decades.

2. I'm not sad. Gameboy was shit. I mean yeah, I have much love for many of the games (particularly on the GBA) but the name means nothing more than "people will buy this system because it's Cheap and says Nintendo on it."

It undeservedly felled many better competitors.

3. GP32 and NeoGeo Portable raise an angry defiant fist.

4. I don't believe it. But I guess this is sad. I always thought if the DS failed miserably their next handheld would of been titled game boy: something something. Since the DS is a success I guess they won't have to fall back on that, yet.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I'm not sad. Gameboy was shit. I mean yeah, I have much love for many of the games (particularly on the GBA) but the name means nothing more than "people will buy this system because it's Cheap and says Nintendo on it."

It undeservedly felled many better competitors.
    Completely agree.

I love the GBA, and there are a good dozen or so worthwhile GB games, but the "Gameboy" line really deserves little praise outside of commercial success.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

6. I don't, the GBA was the best of all. Well, it was when it was backlit and i could use headphones, so i guess only the Micro. But whatever. Much love to the GB line, except the GBColor, that was just kind of useless and ugly.
    The NGPC was the only thing worthwhile that went against the GB. If Gumpei Yokoi hadn't been MURDERED by GOONS sent by HIROSHI YAMAUCHI, Wonderswan would probably be there too.
    Donk

7. The vocabulary has changed since then. Now a days people don't ask if a game is out for the gameboy but for the DS. But I will still have fond memories of the gameboy era most notably DK'95 and listening to Mr.Prefect's GB theme song in King of Ring 95 as the closest thing to CD quality at the time.

I always liked the first gameboy zelda game

9. I have a lot of fond memories of playing wario blast and other games for the original game boy. But I was always astonished by how shitty the game boy color was. I like the GBA, but man it has the worst good to bad game ratio of all time.

10. I always loved Game Boy... hardware-wise, my two favorites were GB Pocket and GBA SP. I'd still rather use an SP to play GBA games, considering that the DS B/A layout is not really well-suited to GBA action games.

Sad to see the name go, but it was inevitable that it would be phased out after the DS took off. I'm glad that they can admit that "third pillar" shit was nonsense, though.