Thread: Offline / Local Wiki software?

1. Offline / Local Wiki software?

Anyone know if there's something similar to a Wiki engine that can be run as a stand alone, local app?

I've been investigating a product-wiki for my sales team here at work, but haven't been able to find anything that doesn't require a web server.

(Before anyone asks, the owners of the business have religious reasons which make anything that it using the internet a no-go).

Any ideas, short of writing my own fucking html intranet from scratch would be very much appreciated.

<3
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

2. Yeah, there's a kid in my department that's making a Wiki for us that'll run on our local network. Apparently he's actually using Wikipedia's own engine or something. I'll ask him when he gets in.

And wtf kind of internet-hating weirdos do you work for, anyway?

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

3. Why the aversion to web servers? Sounds like ignorance to me.

A stand alone local wiki app doesn't make much sense, which is probably why they generally don't exist. If you want to access this wiki from more than one machine, then some kind of network connectivity will be required and in that case you might as well just run a standard wiki in a web server on your local intranet.

There are light weight, easy to use web servers out there such as webrick and lighttpd. And as heavyweight as apache is, it's actually pretty easy to install and use for the most part. Chances are you have access to IIS too, and could set that up to run locally.

EDIT: Oh and if you found a Java based wiki you liked, then installing Tomcat and then dropping the wiki in is incredibly easy -- 100&#37; drag and drop.
    Last edited by torgo; 08 Aug 2007 at 10:25 AM.