Thread: Site update backends.

1. Site update backends.

Alright, I had a nice site started in Flash, but the school radio station wants an easily-updated site for everyone to update daily. This means I need to rebuild the site (and learn some more nifty web design), but if anyone can suggest a nice backend to build it around, I'd much appreciate it.

2. Hi!

what kind of stuff is available to you on the server (software like php/ruby/sql engines/bla bla bla) that's hosting the website?

3. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    Alright, I had a nice site started in Flash, but the school radio station wants an easily-updated site for everyone to update daily. This means I need to rebuild the site (and learn some more nifty web design), but if anyone can suggest a nice backend to build it around, I'd much appreciate it.
    If you want to update a Flash site using a back end interface, your best direction to head in is to use XML/ASP(.NET)/SQL, or XML/PHP/SQL (depending on what your server supports). Let me know if you need any help and I can point you in the right direction/provide you with some great code to get you started. At least on the Flash side of things.

I'm sure there are people here who are better versed in server side languages that could help you with that side of things. Though I have experience, I'm no expert.
    Last edited by Brand X; 10 Aug 2007 at 08:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

4. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    Hi!

what kind of stuff is available to you on the server (software like php/ruby/sql engines/bla bla bla) that's hosting the website?
    Absolutely nothing. It's run by the school, so it's dry. I might be able to weasel something out of the CS department if I try hard, though.

5. try to push for php then, it's readily available on pretty much every server on the planet so it has a proven track record plus you'll have dozens, if not hundreds of content management solutions to pick and choose from

just make sure for the love of god they install php FIVE and not php 4

6. you don't need a book, the manual pages on php.net are by and far the most well-documented manual pages for any language ever