Page 2307 of 2307 FirstFirst ... 22932303230523062307
Results 23,061 to 23,064 of 23064

Thread: Life Is Good

1. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    As a kid I ran a lawnmower over a yellow jacket burrow, and learned how mother nature teaches.
    This sounds horrific to go through but you made me laugh.

2. I stepped on a yellow jacket nest that was under a palm frond once. Got stung ~70 times. Took a bunch of Benadryl and woke up with a whole new version of skin.
    Boo, Hiss.

3. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I had a huge colony of wasps nesting in the brick pillar that holds up the front awning of my old place in Toronto. There was a garbage man strike that summer, and one of the temporary dump sites was a few blocks from where I live. The whole neighborhood was full of wasps. Anyway, I had been doing some masonry for work, and just brought home some mortar and tools and entombed the wasps while they slept. I could hear buzzing for a couple of days, but that was it. I'm sure they made an easy meal for the carpenter ants. The next year there was a shitload of songbirds around that ate wasps, and the dump site was gone, so the wasps were fucked and I barely saw any.

I remember when I was a kid my uncle would take a bucket of kerosene and hold it under hornets nests, and then knock the nest off the tree right into the bucket and none would escape. You can do the same thing with water and dish soap. We also had some kind of aerosol poison spray that was meant to be used from a safe distance, but didn't work that well and usually just pissed them off. It worked better as a flame thrower.
    A lot of the nests I found last year were on the smaller side and open (as in, they weren’t enclosed nests with an entrance). I’d either spray them with the hose or wasp killer as I didn’t want to get too close. We also get those big black and white hornets that for some reason really love to fly around and perch on the wooden railing by the back stairs, something that’s now been happening for two straight summers. In addition to them, we also constantly have carpenter bees flying around the back of the house but I don’t think they sting (they’re eating into the wood though).

I don’t know what happened with me but I get so much anxiety at times with wasps that it’s almost become a type of phobia. I haven’t been stung since I was a teenager but I remember it potentially hurting really fucking bad when I did get stung. They always seem to gravitate towards me and when they’re around too, I think because I sweat a lot and they’re attracted to my salty skin 😂

I did burn up a few wasps that were present when I fired the grill up. I didn’t want to open the lid and get stung so I ignited it with the lid closed and the gas had a sort of explosive effect as a result, blowing a couple wasps right out of the grill with melted wings and legs that squirmed for awhile before dying. The nest itself didn’t really burn and I still had to remove it as others were trying to come back to it. It had maybe 20 or 30 cells and some with eggs. I put it in a ziplock bag and gave it to my son.

4. I don't own a bathroom scale, so I only check my weight if I happen to be visiting someone who has one.
    I was nearly 200lbs at the start of the year, but when I weighed myself at a friend's house this past weekend, I was 181lbs.
    My diet hasn't really improved much in the last year, so I'm going to assume that the modest amount of exercise that I've been getting has been very effective at burning off the lard.
    I'm not about to start tracking this stuff, but I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing, and hopefully I can drop another 15lbs over the next year.