Thread: How to have a #1 single

1. How to have a #1 single

After their first UK #1 single Doctorin' The Tardis they wrote the manual, in which they described how to write a number one single. The original issue is very hard to find. Anyway, you can read it here. A big thank to the unknown stranger who spent dozens of hours to write it down!

Aside from its value as an "instruction manual" for the plan of action described in the title, this document provides a great deal of insight into the anatomy of hit-making while also detailing some of the reasons behind the never-changing nature of pop music.

A brief abstraction of the plan:

Firstly, it has to have a dance groove that will run all the way through the record and that the current 7" buying generation will find irresistible. Secondly, it must be no longer than three minutes and thirty seconds (just under 3'20 is preferable). If they are any longer Radio One daytime DJs will start fading early or talking over the end, when the chorus is finally being hammered home - the most important
    part of any record. Thirdly, it must consist of an intro, a verse, a chorus, second verse, a second chorus, a breakdown section, back into
    a double length chorus and outro.
    Even with all of its technological antiquities, the manual remains very relevant to the production of modern pop music (or pop music of any era, for that matter); for those with an interest in the business of music, making it all the way through the manual is definitely a worthwhile investment.
    Last edited by jyoung; 09 Aug 2007 at 10:31 PM.

2. The timelords aka KLF are notorious for bucking the system. They had an all out war with the recording industry over sampling back in the day over the doctoring the tardis track. They even burnt up something like a million quid on tv.

3. I have only read part, but i find it pretty amusing.

Edit: I have read more and its really interesting. Thanks for the find.
    Last edited by Anthony; 12 Aug 2007 at 12:56 AM.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

4. Fun fact: I'm in a band with a guy who used to go out with Bill Drummond's daughter.

The KLF are awesome.
    BTFJ