Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help and advice with Ibook

1. I just saw this as far as replacing the cd drive:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBoo...l-Drive/50/15/

Fuck that. I'm not taking 40 things apart to install a cd drive. I'll just stick to the newer one I bought. I had a feeling apple components were a pain to install. Why can't they just make it slide into the bay like the Thinkpad drives? Maybe I can salvage it for something anyway *sigh*

2. Ah but that tutorial shows how easy the airport card would be at least.

3. True, I can handle that, but I am bummed about the CD drive. Anyone know if the Apple store will install the part for me, or do they charge a fortune or no longer cover this model?

4. Heh, your average Apple "Genius" probably doesn't know what a G3 is

5. So I got the local G3 today, and it's great. $200, completely mint, battery lists over 4 hours charge remaining, and it came with OS 10.3, I assume that is semi current. It came with tons of software, Microsoft Office, Finale and some music editing software. I have been getting used to it, but I am confused about a few issues:

1. I can't change the name under the little house icon, I assume that's like the my documents folder, it says jonsmith, and it says I don't have priveliges to change it, even though I am the admin, and the only account now.

2. I put some shortcuts on the desktop and dragged icons of the programs I wanted to use most onto the finder bar at the bottom of the screen, but next time I restarted, they were gone and the bar had the original icons back. How do I save the shortcut icons I want on the finder bar?

3. What's iDisk for?

Thanks for the help, guys. I like this laptop a lot so far for $200. Heavier than I thought it'd be, but small and sturdy.

6. Going from memory here:

You want to change the Admin/user?

System preferences > Accounts > Click the Lock > Hit the "+" sign > Add the new user > delete the other user. Personally, I keep the system preferences icon in my dock so it's easy to get to.

Drag the icons into the "dock" (where all of the other icons are). Or, if you're using an application and happen to have a PC 2 Button mouse, click the right button over the icon in the dock and select "keep in dock".

iDisk is for .mac subscribers. You won't need/use it unless you subscribe to that for, I dunno, $60 a year? Basically, it's web space and an e-mail address and unneccessary.

7. Ok, thanks. I tried that with the admin, but it tells me I don't have privileges to change it, and I am the only account active now. The box with the shortname is grayed out, that's the only thing it won't let me change. It's not a big deal though.

Also, I did drag the icons to my dock, but the first time I restarted after, they weren't there. Also, my desktop shortcuts were all gone except for the harddrive icon. I think there were install files for Firefox and some other program. But you don't install programs on Mac's right? You just put them in the programs folder after you download them?

Thanks again.

8. Quote Originally Posted by salt_peanuts View Post
    Ok, thanks. I tried that with the admin, but it tells me I don't have privileges to change it, and I am the only account active now. The box with the shortname is grayed out, that's the only thing it won't let me change. It's not a big deal though.
    You have to hit the "+" sign at the bottom of the dialogue box.

Quote Originally Posted by salt_peanuts View Post
    Also, I did drag the icons to my dock, but the first time I restarted after, they weren't there. Also, my desktop shortcuts were all gone except for the harddrive icon. I think there were install files for Firefox and some other program. But you don't install programs on Mac's right? You just put them in the programs folder after you download them?

Thanks again.
    That's very strange. Try creating the new account again and start over that way. It'll wipe out the previous users setting (unless you keep that user, you don't have to delete it) and try putting your own on there.