Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Internet

1. Satellite Internet

Quick question. My girl lives in the middle of nowhere and can't get DSL or regular cable, and she just recently installed a satellite with DiSH Network and it got her thinking about the possibilities of getting high speed through them (she currently has *gasp* dial-up with AOL) and I was wondering if anyone here has used it before.And if so, how is it in comparison to cable/DSL? I don't know anyone in person that's had a satellite connection.

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."

2. So no one on TNL has had it either? Fuck.

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."

we had it. i forget with who.

We had a setup where outgoing was done with dial up and incoming was done with the sat. We did it that way because you don't have to pay someone to come set it up (something about broadcasting laws, blah blah).

You can also get it set up were both sending and receiving is done with the sat.

It worked pretty good for a couple of years. But it got really slow in the past 2 or 3, and we got rid of it. It was also ass on torrents. It was just to expensive to keep with it not delivering the goods anymore.

i have no idea why we had such a loss in dl speed. It may have been because it was such an odd ball set up, or the provider was tired of supporting the service. Hell, it might even have been because of shitty hardware that eventually killed itself.

I'd read up before dropping the money

4. Satellite can be ok for most things internet wise. But there is a delay in when you go to send something and when the satellite receives it and then moves it on. So don't expect to be doing online gaming with it, cause you'll be lagging like a motherfucker if you do.

It's going to be like anything else, the speeds you get and the service you get are going to be dependent on the Sat company you're getting it from. Cable broadband is really awesome from a company like Optonline, from AT&T and some of the others like Turner it used to suck major ass. (don't know if they still suck just know back in the day from friends who had them they were horrible)

Do some research, check out www.dslreports.com and look to see whose best in your area. I know the website says DSL in the name but the site covers all high speed internet services.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

5. Yeah I don't think she plans to do any gaming with it. She only has a DS and honestly I don't think she'd ever bother to play it online. She just does normal things like instant messages, sites, and maybe at the most downloading some mp3s or something.

The other night we saw a commercial for something called Hughes Net and she asked me to read up about it in my spare time and let her know if she could get it around here, and since I know nothing about it in general I thought I'd ask around to see if any of you had used it before.

It's what she gets for living in the middle of fucking no where.

And thanks for the site, Shin. I'll read up on it.

6. There are still places where you can't get Cable internet?

Just fucking move IMO.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

7. Move to where? Japan?

Jesus, bbobb, every thread?
    Time for a change

8. Yeah if you're not like... an archaeologist or a farmer, you should really live somewhere in civilization.

9. Quote Originally Posted by g0zen View Post
    Move to where? Japan?

Jesus, bbobb, every thread?
    LOL

HAIRY VAG
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

10. Does she live in Bristol? If so she should be able to get on BTES if not Charter.
    Time for a change